Ruby 2.2.10 build request

Mark D. Blackwell

May 10, 2020, 1:05:00 PM5/10/20
to RubyInstaller
Would you consider running any of your release-building processes (old or new) to produce certain downloadable assets for Ruby version 2.2.10?

As you may know, version 2.2.10 is ruby-lang.org's very last release of the Ruby 2.2 series:

I am aware that the Ruby 2.2 series is quite old, and unsupported. Yet, for one of my Windows clients, a considerable amount of software which I wrote is installed, running and tested on the version 2.2 series of Ruby.

That software isn't Internet-facing. Thus obsolescence is less of an issue.

So, in summary, would you please consider creating and adding to your Downloads page at least the Ruby Installer (without Devkit) and the Documentation, for Ruby version 2.2.10?

My version of Windows is: Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1.

System type is: 64-bit Operating System.

Lars Kanis

May 10, 2020, 1:36:51 PM5/10/20
to Mark D. Blackwell, RubyInstaller
Sorry for the gap in support of pre 2.4 Ruby versions, but there have been some issues with the old build environment, that weren't easy to solve. That's why no official builds have been published beyond 2.2.6. So you either have to try to build the required version on your own, stay at 2.2.6 or update to a newer version.

--
Kind Regards,
Lars Kanis

Mark D. Blackwell

May 10, 2020, 3:40:15 PM5/10/20
to RubyInstaller
On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 1:36:51 PM UTC-4, Lars Kanis wrote:
Sorry for the gap in support of pre 2.4 Ruby versions, but there have been some issues with the old build environment, that weren't easy to solve. That's why no official builds have been published beyond 2.2.6.

I interpret this as a gentle suggestion that I upgrade instead. And I know that you're all volunteers. :)

Per the following announcement, Ruby 2.2.7 was released on March 28, 2017:

And, per the following external site (for what it's worth), the entire Ruby 2.2 series reached end-of-life on March 31, 2018:

After the moment when the new build environment started working, was it perhaps simply true that nobody wanted, or requested, a RubyInstaller2 download for any of the newer Ruby 2.2 series releases (beginning with 2.2.7)? Historically, could this have happened?

I don't want the old build environment, particularly.

Would you be able to tell me definitely, explicitly and truthfully that Ruby version 2.2.6 was built only with the old build environment (and not with the new one)? And more importantly, that Ruby version 2.2.10 cannot be built with the new build environment?

If it can't be built with the new build environment, would you give me a clue as to why not? :)

So you either have to try to build the required version on your own, stay at 2.2.6 or update to a newer version.

You say, "try to build." But that certainly wouldn't be helpful advice, if you happened to know already that building Ruby version 2.2.10 with the new build environment would turn out to be impossible.

Actually, I am willing to volunteer to build Ruby 2.2.10 with the new build environment if you assure me that, as far as you know, it is possible to succeed.

For other users (like me) who want to use this version, would my build be made available on the official downloads page?

Mark D. Blackwell

May 12, 2020, 7:17:53 PM5/12/20
to RubyInstaller
By searching the mailing list, I've collected some links regarding the history of the build process(es) which may answer my questions:

"Results for 'build' in RubyInstaller":
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rubyinstaller/build$20|sort:date

"MSYS2 based RubyInstaller for Windows":
https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller2

"RubyInstaller for Windows - Build recipes":
https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller

"oneclick/rubyinstaller/rubyinstaller" – Bintray:
https://bintray.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/rubyinstaller

"[ANN] RubyInstaller 2.4.1-1" – Lars Kanis, et al, 5/26/17:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rubyinstaller/build$20|sort:date/rubyinstaller/1yv55sFKJ_g/0l4LcxFwBQAJ

"Looking for a Maintainer for Ruby 2.2 and 2.3 releases #348" – Justin Baker, et al, 12/7/16:
https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/issues/348

"[ANN] RubyInstaller 2.3.3" – Justin Baker, et al, 12/6/16:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rubyinstaller/build$20|sort:date/rubyinstaller/jXsCnrOP6Lk/3TLNYNh8AwAJ

"Ruby 2.3.3, 2.2.6 #344" – XhmikosR, et al, 11/15/16:
https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/issues/344

"ruby 2.2.0 compilation using x64-mingw32 on windows" – Patrik Svestka, et al, 2/26/15:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rubyinstaller/build$20|sort:date/rubyinstaller/zFFDhusQGzc/UjDNMAP4dpIJ

"building installer?" – Shaya Potter, et al, 2/19/15:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rubyinstaller/build$20|sort:date/rubyinstaller/rcnx8C3w4EU/KFY-TrmtYxgJ

"Newer version 2.2.0 availability for Windows platform" – Trung Nguyen, et al, 12/29/14:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rubyinstaller/build$20|sort:date/rubyinstaller/OYScHEQQCIg/Dlq9LZpGhuoJ

"Delegating maintenance/development of RubyInstaller and related projects" – Luis Lavena, et al, 12/26/14:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rubyinstaller/build$20|sort:date/rubyinstaller/nzpIDZqXO-Q/V3oz7g0XuiYJ

Now I'm left with curiosity about whether the MSYS2 toolchain and build procedures in rubyinstaller2 can be made to succeed, for Ruby version 2.2.10.