Need help with Ruby!!

Josh Harper

May 29, 2014, 12:42:48 AM5/29/14
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
  Hey, so i just installed Ruby on my Windows 7 64 Bit PC (C:\Ruby200-x64). I then installed DevKit and put it in C:\DevKit. Next i went to cmd to run the installation scripts, changed the Directory to C:\DevKit and
typed   "ruby dk.rb init" It then came up "Initialization complete! Please review and modify........".(so far it seemed ok) Next I typed "type config.yml" and it found "ruby19trunk" and "ruby192dev".(Didn't say anything
about finding C:\Ruby200-x64 ) However When i tried typing "ruby dk.rb install" it said "Invalid configuration or no Rubies listed. Please fix 'config.yml' and return 'ruby dk.rb install' "

IMPORTANT! (On installation both Ruby and DevKit did NOT show up in Environment variable as paths.  USER or SYSTEM.)

                   Once again i am running a windows 7 64bit, with ruby -2.0.0-p481-x64 and DevKit-mingw64-64-4.7.2-20130224-1432-sfx which i installed both today.

problem with ruby in cmd.PNG

Luis Lavena

May 29, 2014, 8:30:13 AM5/29/14
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Josh and welcome,

Please see my response below.

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 1:42 AM, Josh Harper <joshha...@gmail.com> wrote:
  Hey, so i just installed Ruby on my Windows 7 64 Bit PC (C:\Ruby200-x64). I then installed DevKit and put it in C:\DevKit. Next i went to cmd to run the installation scripts, changed the Directory to C:\DevKit and
typed   "ruby dk.rb init" It then came up "Initialization complete! Please review and modify........".(so far it seemed ok) Next I typed "type config.yml" and it found "ruby19trunk" and "ruby192dev".(Didn't say anything
about finding C:\Ruby200-x64 ) However When i tried typing "ruby dk.rb install" it said "Invalid configuration or no Rubies listed. Please fix 'config.yml' and return 'ruby dk.rb install' "

The references to ruby19trunk and ruby192dev are examples, all the first lines in config.yml that start with # are comments.

Beneath that, the three dashes that are not commented, is the start for the list of paths found during "init" phase, which is empty.

There is a known bug around Ruby 64bits and is it how it access the registry:

I haven't found a solution to the installer problem yet, as mentioned here:

And here is the workaround:

Before you run "ruby dk.rb install"

IMPORTANT! (On installation both Ruby and DevKit did NOT show up in Environment variable as paths.  USER or SYSTEM.)

Unless you check the box to add Ruby to the PATH, Ruby will not be added to the PATH. See other threads around this and the troubleshooting page:

                   Once again i am running a windows 7 64bit, with ruby -2.0.0-p481-x64 and DevKit-mingw64-64-4.7.2-20130224-1432-sfx which i installed both today.

Out of curiosity, is there a particular need that you explicitly require the 64bits version of Ruby? Is because you're running a 64bits version of Windows?

If that is the case, 64bits Windows and also run, at the same performance, 32bits version of Ruby.

As stated in the downloads page:

You will encounter some issues around 64bits Ruby around gems and some libraries that do not play nice with it.

If you're a newcomer to Ruby, for safety I would recommend you install the 32bits version of Ruby and the DevKit instead.

As plus, the issue of the Ruby installation not being detected will be solved.

Hope that helps,
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17