Rubygems - Timeout

Leonardo Jesus

Oct 19, 2020, 11:59:07 AM10/19/20
to rubygems.org
Since few weeks ago, I'm having problem with the Ruby/ZAT, I can't develop anymore on account of this error. I tried many solutions, but anything helped me, I tried to uninstall and install everything again, but I have problems with ruby-gems...

I'll leave prints below. If someone can help me, I'll really appreciate that!!

I was following this tutorial, that worked first time I made, few months ago: https://develop.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360037023114--Tutorial-ZAT-installation-on-Windows-10?page=1#community_comment_360014589153

Now this error happens:
 zdlfLe5vM3RyVmiFCWrBrg.png

Aditya Prakash

Oct 20, 2020, 12:49:24 AM10/20/20
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leonardo,

Can you please send us the output of the following commands:
```
wget -4 https://rubygems.org
wget -6 https://rubygems.org
wget -6 https://google.com
ip addr
```
please make sure you run them on the host where you have this issue. you can also share this info at sup...@rubygems.org

Leonardo Jesus

Oct 20, 2020, 11:18:01 AM10/20/20
to rubygems.org
Sure,

wget -4

wget -6 rubygems - FAIL

wget -6 google - FAIL

ip addr

Leonardo Jesus

Oct 20, 2020, 11:20:16 AM10/20/20
to rubygems.org
wget -4.pngwget -6.png
ip addr.png

Aditya Prakash

Oct 20, 2020, 1:22:51 PM10/20/20
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
>  wget -6 google - FAIL

Failure of this means your IPv6 route is broken. tools that can fallback to ipv4 will continue working for you. unfortunately ruby doesn't support ipv4 fallback which means that gem install will timeout for you. You can do any one of the following three things:
1. contact your ISP to verify why can't access sites on IPv6 and get it fixed
2. use this patch of rubygems[1] to enable support of IPv4 fallback in rubygems
3. disable IPv6 on your host

[1] https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/pull/2662
a general comment on this PR that you would like to see this get released would be helpful in getting this merged as well.

Leonardo Jesus

Oct 20, 2020, 3:38:06 PM10/20/20
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
I commented there, but I don't know how to download this patch, can you help me?

Aditya Prakash

Oct 21, 2020, 8:30:20 AM10/21/20
to rubyge...@googlegroups.com
David has commented on the PR with steps to apply the patch locally. it would great if you can test the patch and confirm that it resolves your issue. Please feel to reach out here or using https://bundler.slack.com/ if you need further help.

Leonardo Jesus

Oct 21, 2020, 11:44:25 AM10/21/20
to rubygems.org
I'm having problems following David steps, I can't enter on slack, it says that I don't have account there, you can put my email there, or send me a invitation?

My email for slack is: leonard...@outlook.com

Really thanks!

RubySlippers

Dec 6, 2020, 11:51:40 PM12/6/20
to rubygems.org
We see this problem all the time, for example today, just a full minutes ago:

.... [2020-11-30T04:36:02.650422 #1] . ....... gem update bundler ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::UnknownHostError) timed out (https://rubygems.org/specs.4.8.gz) ....

When I check the TTL of this hostname:

dig TYPE rubygem.org NS1.DNSIMPLE.COM

We can see that the TTL is set to 600 seconds.

Seems there is an issue with TTL and rubygems?