Error when logging in new Session with Blob on Ubuntu

Dan Healy

Oct 15, 2013, 7:15:58 PM10/15/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
I am able to run Hallon / Spotify on Mac OS X for logging in a user with a blob, but on Ubuntu 10.10 the same code results in this error:

E [boink.cpp:809] Can't parse message 'LoginCredentials' because it's missing required fields: type

It then goes on for repeated connection failures with error 103 / 112

See paste: http://pastie.org/8405118

I understand Hallon is not maintained but I feel that my use case here is not very complex and would result in the same error with raw spotify, so I am looking for suggestions on fixing this if you have any.

Thanks,
--Dan

Dan Healy

Oct 15, 2013, 7:20:27 PM10/15/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Quick update:  I tried it on Ubuntu 12.04, same result except I don't see the error message about boink.cpp:809.  Still seeing "[offline_authorizer.cpp:297] Unable to login offline: no such user" and repeated "Software caused connection abort (103)" though.

Kim Burgestrand

Oct 16, 2013, 2:10:13 AM10/16/13
to Hallon on behalf of Dan Healy
This is interesting!

The error does not seem to come from inside the spotify gems, but rather from somewhere in libspotify. I suspect that libspotify will unencrypt the credentials blob, but that the credentials blob is somehow missing information that is required by libspotify.

It is possible this is a bug in libspotify which has come from spotify (possibly) updating their back-end without updating libspotify for the new credentials blob change.

I will need to try this for myself with my own account to see if I see the same error.

— Kim Burgestrand

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:20 AM, Dan Healy via Hallon <ruby-hallon+noreply-APn2wQd4uOb1...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Quick update:  I tried it on Ubuntu 12.04, same result except I don't see the error message about boink.cpp:809.  Still seeing "[offline_authorizer.cpp:297] Unable to login offline: no such user" and repeated "Software caused connection abort (103)" though.

Kim Burgestrand

Oct 16, 2013, 2:45:37 AM10/16/13
to Hallon on behalf of Dan Healy
Hello again.

I made a try, using the spotify gem only. The logging in-example in the examples now spits out the credentials blob when the callback happens: https://github.com/Burgestrand/spotify/blob/master/examples/logging-in_example.rb

You can use the blob for logging in by specifying the SPOTIFY_BLOB environment variable when running the examples.

Like you mention, logging in with blobs on OS X works just fine. Next up is trying it on Ubuntu.

— Kim Burgestrand

Dan Healy

Oct 16, 2013, 2:12:40 PM10/16/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Just to verify, I am seeing the same behavior with your example:  http://pastie.org/8407134

I appreciate your help!
--Dan

Kim Burgestrand

Oct 17, 2013, 3:20:58 PM10/17/13
to Hallon on behalf of Dan Healy
I gave it a try on the default 32bit Amazon Linux AMI, and the example ran without issues. I’ll try it on a 64bit instance as well.

Your latest paste appears to be in line with what I receive if I give the example an invalid credentials blob: http://pastie.org/private/ffclklhdyhqmun0z4deg — are you sure the credentials blob you supply is valid and up to date?

— Kim Burgestrand

Kim Burgestrand

Oct 17, 2013, 3:48:05 PM10/17/13
to Hallon on behalf of Dan Healy
Tried on 64bit, and also created an Ubuntu instance without being able to reproduce your error. Here’s my console log: http://pastie.org/private/9wijxhr5srtpbuwdgv1g

Could you provide more clues which might help me reproduce the error you are seeing?

— Kim Burgestrand

Dan Healy

Oct 17, 2013, 5:39:29 PM10/17/13
to Hallon on behalf of Kim Burgestrand
Thank you for helping me with this, I would have had a lot of trouble figuring this out on my own.  Indeed, my blob was invalid.  After logging in via password, I was able to login using the updated blob.  I am not sure why it changed.  I did not change my password.  Does the blob change on a per machine basis?

Kim Burgestrand

Oct 18, 2013, 12:09:18 AM10/18/13
to Hallon on behalf of Dan Healy
Does the blob change on a per machine basis?

I am actually not sure! The blob stuff is pretty much all in libspotify, so it’s more or less like a black box to me. I send stuff it, sometimes weird stuff come out. I suppose it’s possible that the blob might be different per machine, especially when run against Ubuntu vs. OSX considering the SessionConfig has an additional field on Ubuntu.

After logging in via password, I was able to login using the updated blob.

Yippee! Glad it’s working for you too now. :)