Ruby-shell spam

Kamilion

Dec 2, 2009, 3:50:09 PM12/2/09
to rush, the Ruby Shell
Well, after a long long time of subscribing to this group, it's
finally devolved into the point where the last thirty messages or so
I've received have been spam.

So, it's time to unsubscribe.

Been fun guys, but I have better things to do than sort spam from
mailing lists.

Graham Cantin

Dec 2, 2009, 3:58:42 PM12/2/09
to rush, the Ruby Shell
Some statistics, for kicks.

I was the sixth person to join the group, less than a day after it was created.
In the last twelve months, there have been eight on-topic threads and
five PAGES of spam.

I admit, Gmail handles most of the spam without too much of a thought,
but after seeing my !ML/Rush tag in my spam box so often, I think it's
time to switch to web-only viewing.
--
[ Graham Cantin ]
"Asking questions is important,

Adam Wiggins

Dec 3, 2009, 3:24:14 PM12/3/09
to rush, the Ruby Shell
Great points, guys. Google Groups seems to be seeing more spam across
the board, but with this group having so little activity it's
particularly bad on the signal-to-noise ratio.

Does anyone want to volunteer to become a moderator? On the Heroku
mailing list we have someone that approves new posters, which
effectively kills all spam. (Of course, this is purely a spam
filtering role, not a censorship one.) If anyone is up for doing the
same thing here, I'll gladly hand over the admin access on the group.

Adam

David Lee

Dec 4, 2009, 8:47:32 AM12/4/09
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
My take on this (having administered a very small group of my own) is that google groups has earned the designation broken, and has become an inappropriate medium for this kind of activity.

Hopefully a bright young startup's working on a better tool for the job ... owait!

cheers,
David Lee

Adam Wiggins

Dec 4, 2009, 6:45:38 PM12/4/09
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Would anyone like to start a librelist for rush? If so, I'll shut
this one down and we can direct discussion over there.

Adam

Danny Tatom

Dec 4, 2009, 7:32:08 PM12/4/09
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
I've yet to see librelist in action, but I hear it's good. If anything it won't have the massive amount of spam that comes with a google list.

Adam

Danny Tatom
http://dannytatom.com