i18n support

Eric Hansen

Aug 3, 2021, 3:30:14 PM8/3/21
to Roda
Hi-

I work with a monolithic legacy Rails + ActiveRecord + Resque application with some 200 controllers and 200 models.  We are using Rails 3.2 and evaluating whether to upgrade Rails or switch entirely away to a more maintainable framework.

I have been using Roda + Sequel + Sidekiq in some microservices and have been very impressed with the simplicity and clarity of the framework.  We have had trouble with 'magic' in rails over the years.

One of the features of Rails that we use is i18n. I saw that there is a roda-i18n plugin. We have used https://github.com/svenfuchs/i18n-active_record to leverage a translations table to allow customizing i18n.

Questions
1. I saw on the roda-i18n gem's github page that there is an idea: "Sequel DBLoader for DB based translations support".  Has that ever been pursued?  Any suggestions for implementation?  Also, there has been no activity in the roda-i18n gem for 3 years, is the plugin still maintained?
2. We use authlogic.  I saw that there is a https://github.com/jeremyevans/rodauth plugin.  We've customized our authlogic integration pretty heavily, and use omniauth to allow logging in via SSO.

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks much,
Eric

Jeremy Evans

Aug 3, 2021, 5:30:44 PM8/3/21
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 12:30 PM Eric Hansen <ehans...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi-

I work with a monolithic legacy Rails + ActiveRecord + Resque application with some 200 controllers and 200 models.  We are using Rails 3.2 and evaluating whether to upgrade Rails or switch entirely away to a more maintainable framework.

I have been using Roda + Sequel + Sidekiq in some microservices and have been very impressed with the simplicity and clarity of the framework.

That is great to hear!

One of the features of Rails that we use is i18n. I saw that there is a roda-i18n plugin. We have used https://github.com/svenfuchs/i18n-active_record to leverage a translations table to allow customizing i18n.

Questions
1. I saw on the roda-i18n gem's github page that there is an idea: "Sequel DBLoader for DB based translations support".  Has that ever been pursued?  Any suggestions for implementation?  Also, there has been no activity in the roda-i18n gem for 3 years, is the plugin still maintained?

I'm not sure.  roda-i18n is an external plugin, so if maintenance stopped on it, you might have to pick it up yourself.  I don't think it would be difficult to use Sequel to load translations.  Assuming you don't need to pick up changes while they application is running (i.e. you can restart to pickup new translations), then a simple lang/key/value table should be sufficient.  I don't have any production experience with the i18n gem, but I might be able to help out with any Roda/Sequel integration if you have questions.

2. We use authlogic.  I saw that there is a https://github.com/jeremyevans/rodauth plugin.  We've customized our authlogic integration pretty heavily, and use omniauth to allow logging in via SSO.

I'm having trouble parsing a question out of this.  I think that Rodauth is definitely the best authentication option for Roda, but you would be looking at porting your authlogic integration to Rodauth.  Rodauth is designed to be very easy to extend, but I'm guessing it would still be a substantial amount of upfront work.

Rodauth doesn't deal directly with Omniauth, because most of Rodauth handles authentication, and Omniauth is designed to let someone else handle authentication for you.  Using both Rodauth and Omniauth in the same application should not be a problem, though.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Eric Hansen

Aug 4, 2021, 9:26:50 AM8/4/21
to Roda
Thanks -

Sorry - I rushed to send that message.  Yes, my question was whether we should switch from authlogic to rodauth.  The other alternative would be to adapt authlogic to roda, which sounds simpler.

Really appreciate all you do and excited to join the Roda/Sequel train!

--> Eric