Ruby 1.9 support?

gonzoprosperity

Jul 8, 2011, 12:49:15 PM7/8/11
to Ruby Reports
I see there is a ruby19-compat branch that is getting recent commits,
so I am very excited.

Any ballpark idea on when it will be available?

Thanks for all your hard work!

Andrew France

Jul 8, 2011, 3:52:13 PM7/8/11
to ruby-r...@googlegroups.com
On 08/07/11 17:49, gonzoprosperity wrote:
> I see there is a ruby19-compat branch that is getting recent commits,
> so I am very excited

Yes I apologise that this has been a bit slow coming.

I've now got the test suite running on 1.9 after removing its dependency
on an obscure gem that was never updated either! There are a large
number of failures but they mostly seem to centre around the CSV changes
and character encoding.

FasterCSV has replaced the old CSV library in Ruby 1.9 so that should be
an easy fix. If anyone has a smart idea how I can remove the gem
dependency on FasterCSV for 1.9 only please let me know.

The character encoding issues seem to be in the PDF Writer gem, which
does not seem to be 1.9 compatible at all. Someone has made some fixes:
https://github.com/metaskills/pdf-writer.
Dropping PDF Writer support in favour of Prawn may be an option. It's
not hard to make a shiv that implements a similar API but it wouldn't be
identical. I haven't been tracking Prawn progress, does anyone use it?
Is it stable (API and bugs)? I really don't want to make people rewrite
their PDF formatters just to upgrade.

Regards,
Andrew

Gregory Brown

Jul 8, 2011, 4:06:37 PM7/8/11
to Ruby Reports
Prawn's API has nearly completely stabilized, and in general is faster
than PDF::Writer, has more features, fewer bugs, and an active core
team. We retired support for PDF::Writer a long time ago, and I think
Ruport is the only significant consumer of it at this point. I polled
the entire audience at GoRuCo and maybe 70-80% had used Prawn before
and only a handful had ever used PDF::Writer. We have finally won, and
Ruport, if it is to live on, should move to Prawn :)

Gregory Brown

Jul 8, 2011, 4:07:29 PM7/8/11
to Ruby Reports
But the important point there was perhaps that Prawn has worked on
Ruby 1.9 since its first release, and has excellent
internationalization support.

Phillip Gawlowski

Jul 8, 2011, 4:09:26 PM7/8/11
to ruby-r...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Gregory Brown
<gregory...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But the important point there was perhaps that Prawn has worked on
> Ruby 1.9 since its first release, and has excellent
> internationalization support.

And Prawn is a joy to work with!

And I don't even like prawns. ;)

--