Moving from PDF-Writer to Prawn?

Jay Osako

Jan 10, 2012, 10:11:09 AM1/10/12
to Ruby Reports
Are there any firm plans to convert from PDF::Writer to Prawn on the
ruby19-compat branch? Now that PDF::Writer has stopped updating (and
even the home page for PDF::Writer recommends moving to Prawn), it
would seem that this would be a high priority for the development
branches of Ruport in order to ensure that it does not lose it's PDF
support.

To be honest, the lack of development in Ruport itself is somewhat
concerning to me, as I am looking to do significant reporting work in
Ruby 1.9 and was looking to Ruport for this. Is Ruby Reports itself
still an active project, or should I be looking at (for example)
Jasper Reports for the needed functionality? I would much prefer to
use Ruport if possible, and am willing to contribute to the project
myself if needed, but I cannot afford to commit to using something
that is no longer in active development.

Andrew France

Jan 10, 2012, 10:45:27 AM1/10/12
to ruby-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay,

I'm the project maintainer but haven't done much development on Ruport itself.

Prawn and Ruby 1.9 support are the two main issues but no one has submitted any patches for it (with one exception) and I haven't required the use of Ruport for any of my projects in a long time so I have little reason to work on it. I should probably be on top of things a bit more, especially the FasterCSV issue.

A Ruport Formatter isn't actually designed to do that much work and there is a basic PrawnPDF class written by Michael Pope. I think Prawn (but haven't had time to research) probably supports most of what the old PDF formatter did.

I'm happy to accept patches and they will usually be merged within a short time. I'm also available for support questions.

I hope that answers your questions.

Best regards,
Andrew

Jay Osako

Jan 10, 2012, 10:50:15 AM1/10/12
to Ruby Reports
Actually, yes that does answer my questions. As I said, I'd be happy
to contribute to the project; I will see what I can do and send any
patches I come up with on to you. Thank you.