Re: [reek] Re: Rspec Matcher Broken?

Steve Abatangle

Jul 13, 2012, 1:27:49 PM7/13/12
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Timo --

See https://gist.github.com/3106125. I wrote the simplest script I could think of, and put it, its output, and my system info into that gist. This could very well be something really stupid that I'm doing (or not doing) without realizing it; if that's the case, please feel free to laugh at me. :-)

-S

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM, timo.roessner <timo.r...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hey Steve,

>> 'my string'.should_not reek

is used multiple times in our current spec set and those specs pass, so yes, this *is* the right way to do it..:-)

1.) Are you using the latest version of the reek gem?

2.) If upgrading to the latest version doesn't help, please provide me with a gist of the complete test file and the complete console output from a test run including the command with which you started the test run.

Regards,

Timo

On Friday, July 13, 2012 5:07:19 AM UTC+2, sabat wrote:
Hi: I am just starting a new Rails 3 project and went to use the Reek matcher when I encountered an unexpected exception (below). Before I dive deep and try to find a bug (?) in the Reek libs — am I doing something wrong? Simple example, using ruby-1.9.3p194 in RVM on a Mac, also tested on Centos 5:

----
require 'rspec'
require 'reek'
require 'reek/spec'

1.should == 1
'foo'.should == 'foo'
#
# here comes failure:
'def equals(other) other.thing == self.thing end'.should_not reek
----

Running that on my system shows:
reek.fail.rb:8:in `<main>': undefined local variable or method `reek' for main:Object (NameError)

Which is exactly the same error I get running rspec on my Rails app.

Did something change in how you pull in the matchers, or did I stumble onto something that's actually broken? =:-O

-Steve

timo.roessner

Jul 18, 2012, 2:42:23 AM7/18/12
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

you're right, there is definitely something wrong here, at the very least the reek documentation is out of date.

Could you please open up a corresponding github issue? I will look into this as soon as possible.

Regards,

Timo

Steve Abatangle

Jul 18, 2012, 12:19:21 PM7/18/12