Preferred gem repository?

6 views
Skip to first unread message

Ashley Moran

unread,
Sep 5, 2009, 6:25:51 AM9/5/09
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Just wondered whether gemcutter.org or gems.github.com was considered
the primary gem repo for reek? New features seem to be coming out in
point-point-point releases. So is GitHub the preferred location?

Cheers
Ashley


--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ashleymoran
http://aviewfromafar.net/

Kevin Rutherford

unread,
Sep 5, 2009, 6:34:01 AM9/5/09
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Ashley
Moran<ashley...@patchspace.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Just wondered whether gemcutter.org or gems.github.com was considered
> the primary gem repo for reek? New features seem to be coming out in
> point-point-point releases.  So is GitHub the preferred location?

Right now I'm building up to a big 1.2 release, but I don't want to
disturb folks who are happy on 1.1.3 from Rubyforge. So I'm
drip-feeding the new features into 1.1.3.x patch releases on github
and gemcutter.

I know it's not ideal, but I've had very little time to spend on this
in the last couple of months. When 1.2 goes out it will hit all of the
repos, and I'll try to get that done in the next couple of weeks or
so. After that I'll try to keep things a bit cleaner :)

So, if you want to try new features before 1.2 comes out, they're
available on both github and gemcutter. They work, but I may change
the interfaces a little as necessary. And they aren't documented yet.
Cheers,
Kevin
--
http://www.kevinrutherford.co.uk -- agile, TDD, XP, lean, TOC

Ashley Moran

unread,
Sep 7, 2009, 6:25:46 AM9/7/09
to ruby...@googlegroups.com

On 5 Sep 2009, at 11:34, Kevin Rutherford wrote:

> So, if you want to try new features before 1.2 comes out, they're
> available on both github and gemcutter. They work, but I may change
> the interfaces a little as necessary. And they aren't documented yet.

Oh my mistake then, I thought the GemCutter one was the same version
as RubyForge. So when 1.2 is out, will GemCutter or RubyForge be the
stable gem repository?

Kevin Rutherford

unread,
Sep 7, 2009, 2:38:13 PM9/7/09
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
>> So, if you want to try new features before 1.2 comes out, they're
>> available on both github and gemcutter. They work, but I may change
>> the interfaces a little as necessary. And they aren't documented yet.
>
> Oh my mistake then, I thought the GemCutter one was the same version
> as RubyForge.  So when 1.2 is out, will GemCutter or RubyForge be the
> stable gem repository?

Nope, my mistake! Gemcutter is on 1.1.3, same as Rubyforge.
I plan to keep gemcutter and Rubyforge in sync. Unless you'd all
prefer to have gemcutter host the minor releases too?

Ashley Moran

unread,
Sep 7, 2009, 3:04:29 PM9/7/09
to ruby...@googlegroups.com

On 7 Sep 2009, at 19:38, Kevin Rutherford wrote:

> Nope, my mistake! Gemcutter is on 1.1.3, same as Rubyforge.
> I plan to keep gemcutter and Rubyforge in sync. Unless you'd all
> prefer to have gemcutter host the minor releases too?

I'm happy with either, as reek has proved very stable so far. I guess
by "minor" you mean 0.0.0.1 releases? I got the impression that there
are only so many of them this time because you're doing a lot of
refactoring. It's just that I wouldn't want to wait a long time for
new code smells - for example, reek caught a Simulated Polymorphism in
a controller. It'd be a shame to miss out on new smells. ( I don't
get many of the old ones now. I'm starting to pre-empt reek with a
sort of Pavlovian reek-will-bitch-about-that twitch, occasionally
accompanied by drooling. The cure is working :) )

Kevin Rutherford

unread,
Sep 7, 2009, 3:10:20 PM9/7/09
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ash,

> It's just that I wouldn't want to wait a long time for
> new code smells - for example, reek caught a Simulated Polymorphism in
> a controller.  It'd be a shame to miss out on new smells.  ( I don't
> get many of the old ones now.  I'm starting to pre-empt reek with a
> sort of Pavlovian reek-will-bitch-about-that twitch, occasionally
> accompanied by drooling.  The cure is working :) )

A short while ago you also asked for Data Clump. It's in the latest
github patch release; you'll love it. :)

These patches are piling up because I'm making a few incompatible
changes, which call for a major release. But I don't want to make
major releases every 5 minutes, so I'm bundling a few incompatible
changes together.

Sorry for the delay -- it will all be worth it :)

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages