OpenSSL : help needed for Ruby 2.3 on Debian 10

Paul

Oct 5, 2019, 1:50:09 PM10/5/19
to ruby-pg
Hi guys,

first of all, thank you very much for your fine work with pg lib, it has proven to be very reliable in every circumstances.

Today I am reaching you because I need some guidance. I'll do my best to explain my situation.

I admin a big application runing on RubyOnRails 3.2, making heavy use of pg.
RubyOnRails 3.2 can not run on Ruby > 2.3, so the application runs on Ruby 2.3

I have new servers running Debian 10.
Debian 10 comes with OpenSSL 1.1.
Ruby 2.3 can not be built against OpenSSL 1.1, support for OpenSSL 1.1 starts at Ruby 2.4

I built OpenSSL 1.0 on this machine in a custom path (/opt/...)
I built Ruby 2.3 linked to custom OpenSSL 1.0

Now I need to get pg / libpq to work with that.

What can I do to sort this out please ? Can I build ruby-pg against my custom OpenSSL 1.0 directly ?
Or, should I build libpq separatly first, and build ruby pg against custom libpq.

If it sounds confusing, I am sorry. I don't understand well how this works.

Thank you for your help. Kind regards,