bundle pg without Postgres (locally)

ryans...@googlemail.com

Jan 15, 2016, 7:43:39 PM1/15/16
to ruby-pg
Hi all,

I'm using a separate server to host the Postgres database, whereas the pg gem seems to expect a local version of Postgres.

The pg gem is struggling to build:

DEBUG [d545a48f] An error occurred while installing pg (0.18.4), and Bundler cannot continue.

DEBUG [d545a48f] Make sure that `gem install pg -v '0.18.4'` succeeds before bundling.

I have tried passing bundler configurations as follows, but they don't seem to help.

bundle config build.pg --without-pg --without-pg-config

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan

Cody Cutrer

Jan 15, 2016, 8:02:57 PM1/15/16
to rub...@googlegroups.com
Ryan,

The pg gem requires the Postgres client libraries only. On Debian and Ubuntu, this is the postgresql-client package.

Cody Cutrer

ama...@tradegecko.com

Feb 23, 2016, 5:36:59 PM2/23/16
to ruby-pg, ryans...@googlemail.com
As an aside I'd recommend making sure your client is up to date with the server-version; for example I've experienced bugs querying 9.5beta from a 9.4 client - which went away after upgrading the client.