How Ruby Nuby came about...the short version.

1 view
Message has been deleted

RubyNuby01 aka Malcolm Arnold

Sep 29, 2010, 1:01:56 PM9/29/10
to Ruby Nuby
I was researching Open Source Social Networking Platforms (OSSNPs)
build a social network on community activism where a portion of the
community who were programmers and believed in the cause would
actually programming the site. I spent 4-5 months fulltime
evaluating
platforms and languages and even went to Elgg Camp (PHP based) at
Harvard. Elgg was the clear leader for my very specific criteria
IMHO
(Buddypress had not been released).

I came to the conclusion that if my concept failed that I would be
stuck with PHP as the technology that I would have learned and would
use on future endeavors. My goal then and now is to fail as fast as
possible and to iterate anew.

If I chose PHP, then I would have to code in PHP...eeewwww;)

I was reentering programming after a 16 year layoff. My major was
Computer Science 20 years ago and I learned Assembly, Pascal, ADA and
Fortran. I did this paper on this brand new technology that had
just
been invented call Hyper Text Markup Language. I explored how it was
going to totally revolutionize the learning process by enabling the
user to choose the paths of learning and resources to learn from or
about. I did nothing with CS in the military as I became a Russian
Interrogator, later Counter-Intelligence Agent and led teams of both.
Later still, I designed training including language training.

Ruby was the clear choice even though the RoR OSSNPs were very
nascent
and there weren't that many programmers out there.

So I started learning RoR. I saw there was not a streamlined
curriculum and the resources for Nubies were VERY lacking. Some good
to great resources here but no clear strategy for a streamlined
learning process that would have one hire-able in 90 days. Without
any programming knowledge, a dedicated talented student studying
full-
time should be hire-able after 90-120 days in a capacity that
contributes to a company.

Ding Ding Ding

I will form Ruby Nuby. Take advantage of the market conditions where:

everyone want to learn this,
noone knows how to go about it
companies desperately need developers

and create incentives for everyone to work together to do social good
that that greatly favors their economic self-interests.

I will take my original idea and template it upon the RoR community.
I will learn all the skills needed to fulfill my original idea: how
start a 501(3)c, do social good on a global scale, build a social
movement from the ground up, create incentives for disparate groups
and individuals to work collaboratively towards common goals even
though they may have different goals or interests.

I will help train the community of activists who are programmers. A
subset of this community will then feel drawn to my original idea
when
I release it in the future and will help build that site which would
be based upon community activism.

What is the follow on to the Ruby Nuby social movement?

Stay tuned..we have to build out Ruby Nuby first. We are only in the
0.01 edition..you could say at doing social good, we are ....
Nubies;)

Malcolm Arnold
RubyNuby01

PS. I dislike calling myself the Founder as that elevates me or puts
me
in a different class. We are a collective working together. I
prefer
RubyNuby01. Think of us as an array, a series of collective values,
moving forward to do social good,
working collaboratively to support each other and working with those
who want to help in our socio-economic mission. With regards to our
collective array moving forward, as RubyNuby01 I am just on end of
the
array. Though, I would prefer to be...Malcolm in the Middle;)

Mark Coates

Sep 29, 2010, 1:02:33 PM9/29/10
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Then I'm RubyNuby00. ;-)

Regards,

Mark Coates
(@) m@rkcoates@gmail.com
(web) http://oddlyzen.com
(abc) 3-RUBY-PRO-9
(123) 347-829-7769

Join us on GitHub: http://github.com/RubyNuby

Adam Gonnerman

Sep 29, 2010, 2:24:14 PM9/29/10
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the summary of what led to Ruby Nuby. Do you mind if I post it to one of my blogs in the next couple of weeks...attributing it to you, of course?

Adam G.
--

Adam Gonnerman

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile." - Hippocrates

RubyNuby01 aka Malcolm Arnold

Sep 29, 2010, 2:32:07 PM9/29/10
to Ruby Nuby
Sure, anyone is welcome to cross post but please ask people to watch
the 2 min video of our mission and to vote for us to win a grant at
this link: http://bit.ly/cPwRvQ
Please ask them to tweet or facebook about it.

Adam, thank you so much.
Malcolm
RubyNuby01