Google Launches Contest to Encourage Kids to Code

Mark Coates

Oct 7, 2010, 3:44:17 PM10/7/10
to Ruby Nuby
The Google Open Source Program is announcing a new outreach effort,
aimed at 13- to 18-year-old students around the world. Google Code-in
will operate in a similar fashion to Google's Summer of Code, giving
students the opportunity to work in open-source projects.

Google Code-in will match students to mentoring organizations and will
give them a chance to do real-world development on open source
projects. Tasks for participating students can include writing code,
creating documentation, training others, testing code, UI research and
design, and community outreach.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_launches_contest_to_encourage_kids_to_code.php

Just thinking that this might be an interesting angle we could somehow
get involved with. Cheers!

Mark Coates

Oct 7, 2010, 3:47:00 PM10/7/10
to Ruby Nuby
Also, check out: http://csta.acm.org/runningonempty/roemap.html

NY is way behind. LA, however, ranks quite high... Maybe we should be
focusing on NY students!??