Jobs: Looking for creative lead engineer for NYC social travel startup

Blocks8

Sep 27, 2010, 9:52:40 PM9/27/10
to Ruby Nuby
About us
gtrot.com is a New York-based social travel startup founded by recent
Harvard and NYU grads. We’re making travel more social to make it
simpler. Our current product comprises a simple yet powerful platform
for sharing past trips and upcoming plans with Facebook friends. We’re
hard at work on the second generation product, which aggregates trip-
related social media into dynamic social travel guides, allowing users
to plan trips based on the activities and experiences enjoyed by
friends.

We recently took top prize in the Harvard i3 Innovation Challenge and
closed a round of angel investment. Our launch attracted substantial
media attention, including coverage by The New York Times, and we’re
developing a number of strategic partnerships to accelerate growth on
target college campuses and beyond into 2011.

We’re looking for a third partner with exceptional web development
skills to join us full-time in New York. We need a creative and
collaborative personality with expertise in LAMP development. Strong
front-end design skills are always a plus.

Responsibilities
- Working closely with co-founders as lead engineer to conceptualize,
design, specify, and implement new functionalities
- Utilizing our Argentina-based development team to ensure quality
implementation and rapid release of new code
- Implementing A/B testing system and improving analytics capabilities
Experience/Skills
- Expert knowledge of PHP, MySQL, and Linux-based Apache server
management. Familiarity with Symfony framework a plus
- Proficiency in JavaScript/AJAX and xHTML/CSS. Familiarity with
social media or other APIs a plus
- Strong work ethic, passion for product development, and highly
collaborative working style are musts

Education
- College degree in computer science a plus
Compensation
- We’re offering competitive pay and equity
- Will consider part-time arrangement in the short term

If you’re interested in joining our team, please email us at
jo...@gtrot.com. Include a link to some of your work and a sample of
code you’ve written recently. We look forward to hearing from you!

Peter Ehrlich

Sep 28, 2010, 12:30:12 AM9/28/10
to Ruby Nuby
Hello b.laughlin!

I am a little bit curious about this opportunity -- how is a senior
php job request related to a volunteer rubiest's group?

Thanks for the info,
--Peter
> j...@gtrot.com. Include a link to some of your work and a sample of

RubyNuby01 aka Malcolm Arnold

Sep 28, 2010, 12:34:24 PM9/28/10
to Ruby Nuby
This is better posted in the jobs forum on the meetup.com page. We
don't have any rules yet for this google group as we do for the
meetup.com forum. We will develop them shortly.

Mark Coates

Sep 28, 2010, 3:27:04 PM9/28/10
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Also, Mr. Laughlin, you are posting this to a Ruby user group's board. Many of us are sick and tired of PHP (and other languages/frameworks). Personally, I've had the best 5 years of my life working with Ruby and I wouldn't want to jump back into the PHP quagmire for *anything*. Please remember that DHH, the originator of Ruby on Rails, made the framework with the Ruby language because he was frustrated with PHP and sick of it... That's mostly what you'll find in this group, too, I'd imagine--a bunch of frustrated developers looking for a better way...

Regardless, I wish you the best luck finding a PHP expert (isn't everyone a PHP expert? ;-) to lead your technology team. Best wishes for your startup and we hope to see you at one of our meetups. That would be the best way to get a gauge of what the NYC technology development thought-leaders are doing. You're more than welcome to join us at NYU's Weaver Hall, room 312, Monday nights @6:30-9:30.

Cheers,

Mark Coates
(@) m@rkcoates@gmail.com
(web) http://oddlyzen.com