Proposed strategy for Hackathon Weekend and how we proceed. Please give feedback. please may I have your help.

RubyNuby01 aka Malcolm Arnold

Oct 6, 2010, 11:16:53 PM10/6/10
to Ruby Nuby
Hello Fellow Nubies and Rubyists,

I mentioned to Tom Cassidy of Ideeli.com, who sponsors our weekly
volunteer meetings(now weekly) that we hoped that we would get
sponsors for our Hackathon weekend and that companies would actually
donate teams to code a portion of the learning network. He said that
to make it easy for companies to join, we should have clearly defined
projects. This would allow companies to pick and choose how they want
to contribute. For example, a large banking company would have a
great deal of experience with financial transactions if we are were
going to have a financial contributions or charge for the site and
they could do that area. Each company has strengths and this would
allow the companies to showcase them.

This would allow the companies to teach developers in their area about
their processes thus attracting new talent who may be interested in
that area of technology. Also, we can credit companies with helping
with these areas.

The proposed strategy is this:
Step 1: Creation of our basic website and content.

Step: 2 Create timeline that would allow for sponsors to hear about
our event and sign up. Create/Send out a letter to all the Ruby
Groups world wide. A separate letter would be forwarded to potential
financial donors or donors who would contribute coding teams.

Step 3: Spec Weekend where the whole design of the learning website is
spec out into discrete blocks, the processes for coordinating the
different teams established, project manager determined,

Step 4: Hackathon weekend scheduled a minimum of 2-4 weeks after the
Spec weekend.

Questions: What addition requirements should be in each step? What
additional steps would you add? Would you use a different strategy?
Is 2 weeks enough time for companies to view specs, decide to commit a
team and deliver the team? We are weighing this between having a site
and not. We could build out a basic learning site locally quickly and
have a decent site up...this would attract donors and others to our
cause. With a workable site, we could improve it as needed. Once we
have sponsors who are warmly receptive to the idea of contributing
then we could plan a hackathon.

Factors considering: delivering a worthwhile product to the community,
building the Ruby Nuby community, attracting sponsors and all the
benefits that go with that and affording learning opportunities to our
local community first then worldwide.

As I write this, I am thinking it is best to scale back and focus. We
could do a local hackathon for Oct 22-24th and get a decent product
out. We could debut that at RubyConf.org in New Orleans and use that
as a way to entice sponsors and developers to the idea of a worldwide
hackathon. This would also show the Ruby world that we are committed
to helping the community.

As I write this, I am thinking this is a much better strategy.

Thoughts? What strategies would you recommend?

thanks in advance,
Malcolm Arnold
RubyNuby01

Nick Ehle

Oct 7, 2010, 11:07:34 AM10/7/10
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest that we start off with a content focused site that clearly
lays out the mission of the group and a high level overview of the
approach of the group towards training new Ruby devs. Then we can
iterate off of this base with other smaller projects, like the
affiliate program, etc, and find partners to hep out w/ these other
areas.

-Nick

Nick Ehle | 917.887.4597 | ni...@nickehle.com

> --
>
> Join us on GitHub: http://github.com/RubyNuby

Mark Coates

Oct 7, 2010, 11:17:47 AM10/7/10
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
I agree. We should be light, agile, and focused. Especially at first. If we're all over the map, we won't be able to clearly communicate our mission and gain valuable sponsorships later.

Cheers,

Mark Coates
(@) m...@rkcoates.com
(web) http://oddlyzen.com