Manor Four!

James Adam

Jan 7, 2013, 11:34:40 AM1/7/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

We're looking to spruce up our website and logo as part of putting together the next Ruby Manor (more details soon!), but we're not exactly the best designers in the world. I was wondering if there was anyone who might be willing to lend us a hand? If so, please get in touch, either here or to guv...@rubymanor.org and we'll chat more.

Cheers!

- James

Matthew Rudy Jacobs

Jan 7, 2013, 11:37:30 AM1/7/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com

What time of year are we thinking?
I would love to be there.

Murray Steele

Jan 7, 2013, 11:39:52 AM1/7/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
To answer Matthew's question, and provide an example of why we might need some help with the aesthetics:

tim ruffles

Jan 7, 2013, 11:42:03 AM1/7/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
This looks like a job for.... http://vonglitschka.com/5MinuteLogo/index.html !

Matthew Rudy Jacobs

Jan 7, 2013, 11:53:30 AM1/7/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com

I like the concept, but there are too many fonts.

Eleanor McHugh

Jan 8, 2013, 6:30:05 PM1/8/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
On 7 Jan 2013, at 16:39, Murray Steele <murray...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To answer Matthew's question, and provide an example of why we might need some help with the aesthetics:
>
> http://rubymanor.org/4/

It's got a great DIY feel - are you sure it needs a makeover?

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://feyeleanor.tel
----
ruby: raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason
golang: if _, ok := reality.(Reasonable); !ok { panic(reality) }

James Adam

Jan 8, 2013, 6:36:35 PM1/8/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
On 8 Jan 2013, at 17:30, Eleanor McHugh <ele...@games-with-brains.com> wrote:

> On 7 Jan 2013, at 16:39, Murray Steele <murray...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To answer Matthew's question, and provide an example of why we might need some help with the aesthetics:
>>
>> http://rubymanor.org/4/
>
> It's got a great DIY feel - are you sure it needs a makeover?

I'm not sure it's exactly scaleable into an entire website, let alone one that communicates the right tone....

- James

Eleanor McHugh

Jan 8, 2013, 6:39:33 PM1/8/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
That sounds dangerously professional ;)

Richard Drake

Jan 8, 2013, 6:44:17 PM1/8/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
I like it as a front page, as Eleanor does. Making from that a style for the whole site will require work, just as a new style would. Dunno the answer to that. But a 'DIY feel' would be good.

--
http://rdrake98.posterous.com
23 Paxton Road, London SE23 2QG

Eleanor McHugh

Jan 8, 2013, 6:48:26 PM1/8/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
On 8 Jan 2013, at 23:44, Richard Drake <rdra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like it as a front page, as Eleanor does. Making from that a style for the whole site will require work, just as a new style would. Dunno the answer to that. But a 'DIY feel' would be good.

It makes me think of some of the underground computer magazines I used to read in the early 80s - the ones that hooked me on coding. I agree it'd be a pain in the arse to implement across a whole site but it'd be fun if some of its spirit could be retained [0].

Ellie
[0] unfortunately it's already at the limit of my design abilities otherwise I'd offer to help

James Adam

Jan 8, 2013, 6:56:35 PM1/8/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
On 8 Jan 2013, at 17:48, Eleanor McHugh <ele...@games-with-brains.com> wrote:

> On 8 Jan 2013, at 23:44, Richard Drake <rdra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I like it as a front page, as Eleanor does. Making from that a style for the whole site will require work, just as a new style would. Dunno the answer to that. But a 'DIY feel' would be good.
>
> It makes me think of some of the underground computer magazines I used to read in the early 80s - the ones that hooked me on coding. I agree it'd be a pain in the arse to implement across a whole site but it'd be fun if some of its spirit could be retained [0].

Thanks for your comments :)

To explain why I think a bit more polish would be worthwhile: what I'd like to communicate is that while Ruby Manor may have an alternative approach, it is every bit as much a "conference" as any other Ruby event. If the design is too obviously cobbled together (for which I take personal responsibility), then this doesn't reinforce that idea, and ends up undermining some of the philosophical agenda that keeps the Manor hearth warm.

I'm hoping it will be possible to produce something that looks a bit more polished that's still in keeping with everything else that we love about how Ruby Manor works. If anyone reading this thinks they might be able to help, or knows someone who could be interested, we'd really love to hear from you.

I should probably clarify that because we run the 'Manor as volunteers, ideally we'd be looking for the design help to come from an equality charitable person or company. In other words, there's no budget for this, beyond a free ticket to Manor 4.0, our near-infinite gratitude and knowing that you've helped support a great event and community.

- James

Richard Drake

Jan 8, 2013, 7:13:38 PM1/8/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com

I'm hoping it will be possible to produce something that looks a bit more polished that's still in keeping with everything else that we love about how Ruby Manor works.

That will need inspiration. Next contributor! :)