Ruby hardware stuff?

Ben Griffiths

Jan 28, 2013, 10:13:13 AM1/28/13
to The Guvner
I'm not competent to propose a talk on this, but I wondered if anyone out there wanted to do a hardware talk?

Off the top of my head I can think of a range of ruby-ish things:
  - Freerange's Printer that's an arduino talking to a web backend written in ruby
  - connecting buttons and games controllers to ruby programs
  - using ruby with the raspberry PI's GPIO to make physical stuff happen
  - using ruby to drive Lego mindstorms through Bluetooth
  - talking to DMX(?) or MIDI controllers for lights, music, etc.

Are there libraries that make this easy? Are there people making ruby-powered robots? Can ruby drive a car? How much electronics do you actually need to know to make things? How little electronic knowledge do you need to avoid electrocuting yourself or your family?

I don't know whether anyone on here has interesting stuff to present or wants to tackle this. I'd bet there's someone lurking though...

I guess my ideal talk would be one that after hearing it, I'm immediately inspired to go online, buy some components, automate the house, build a killer robot, etc.

Ben

Viktor Trón

Jan 31, 2013, 12:08:20 PM1/31/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com