escaped searches with glob (asterisk) not working

Tony Perrie

Jan 28, 2013, 11:16:33 AM1/28/13
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
If I search for escaped characters, I can't use an asterisk (or begins/ends).

I think this is a bug in the LDAP gem itself.

Net::LDAP::Filter.begins("cn", "\\")

Doesn't return anything on our Microsoft Windows 2008 AD server even though there are a few CN's starting with backslash.

This does work though:

ldapsearch -E pr=200/noprompt -h directory.example.com -x -D 'CN=example,CN=Users,DC=example,DC=com' -w 'password' -b 'dc=example,dc=com' -LLL '(cn=\5C*)'

It looks like the filter produces the expected "\5C*", but no results are returned for some reason.  We looked at the output with wireshark, and it does appear that Net::LDAP sends different data than ldapsearch.

Actually, it appears that any escaped text doesn't work.  '\2A*' doesn't work either.

Has anyone seen this before?