Interesting topics for next meetups

Nikos Dimitrakopoulos

Mar 28, 2016, 6:12:49 AM3/28/16
to Ruby Hellug
For those that missed our last meetup, we did a brainstorming session with the goal of finding topics that are in the cross-section of "interesting" and "can be presented from people in the group".

Here is the outcome:

TitleVotesPeople with experience to present
Design patterns & best practices10Antonis ?, Jason Gavriilidis
Docker in production10Aristotelis Xristou
SciRuby10John Pagonis
Functional programming9
Metaprogramming9Jason Gavriilidis, Kyriakos Kentzoglanakis
Domain specific case studies6John Pagonis
Services & APIs5John Filippas, Aristotelis Xristou, Lazarus Lazaridis
Scalability & resilience3Kyriakos Kentzoglanakis
RVM internals2
Refactoring & best practices1Antonis ?
Code smells1Kyriakos Kentzoglanakis
NLP1John Pagonis

We will use this list as a compass for the next meetups and I highly suggest people with some experience on the topics mentioned above to submit proposals for presentations. Apart from this, I'm not sure whether there is a benefit in continuing the discussion here. In my mind we should either re-do this once in a while during meetups or setup a more structured online way of doing it.

Pantelis Vratsalis

Feb 23, 2017, 3:47:01 AM2/23/17
to Ruby Hellug
Some additional topics for upcoming meetups:

1) Rooting trees/url traversal as alternatives to traditional MVC frameworks (e.g. Cuba/Roda)
2) Deviating from the "rails way". Ways to organize code for growing projects (e.g. "slimming" fat models to form models/query objects etc) to manage projects with growing codebase more easily.

John

Feb 23, 2017, 3:50:49 AM2/23/17
to Ruby Hellug

On Thursday, 23 February 2017 10:47:01 UTC+2, Pantelis Vratsalis wrote:
Some additional topics for upcoming meetups:

1) Rooting trees/url traversal as alternatives to traditional MVC frameworks (e.g. Cuba/Roda)
2) Deviating from the "rails way". Ways to organize code for growing projects (e.g. "slimming" fat models to form models/query objects etc) to manage projects with growing codebase more easily.

Good additions me thinks!

/pagojo

Theodoros Orfanidis

Feb 23, 2017, 7:33:18 AM2/23/17
to Ruby Hellug
One of my ideas for the next meetup is form models/objects. I can prepare a presentation, if you like. I have used Reform, Virtus and also ActiveModel.

Have we decided on the date for the next one? How about March 29th (Wednesday)?