wiki design

Matt Aimonetti

Feb 25, 2009, 3:16:33 PM2/25/09
to Ruby Graphic Designers
Hi guys,

Today we just launched our new wiki: http://wiki.rubyonrails.org
which is currently using dokuwiki (unfortunately not a ruby product).
As you can see the design isn't that great and far from something
like: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/

Would some of you be interested in working on a refreshed look for the
wiki?

Thanks a lot,

- Matt

jeromegn

Feb 26, 2009, 2:50:09 PM2/26/09
to Ruby Graphic Designers
Better than the last one, but still feels like something designed by a
coder.

Why not use a ruby wiki app? Like perwikity:
http://github.com/jeremymcanally/perwikity/tree/master (screenshot:
http://jgn.me/uploads/Perwikity.png)

Ok, I agree it's probably not ready to handle all the traffic the
current wiki is receiving, but I just think it makes Rails look very
bad to not be using a Ruby wiki. I think that's more of a priority
than the design.

Just my 2 cents, I know how hard it is to build a site with so much
content, but there are patterns out there.

Matt Aimonetti

Feb 27, 2009, 1:25:41 PM2/27/09
to Ruby Graphic Designers
Jerome, if you join the activism/wiki ML you will be able to see the
long discussion we had about the wiki software to use.

The focus is the content of the wiki, not what tool we are using.
Hence the need for a good design to make the content more appealing.

Thanks,

- Matt

On Feb 26, 11:50 am, jeromegn <jerom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Better than the last one, but still feels like something designed by a
> coder.
>
> Why not use a ruby wiki app? Like perwikity:http://github.com/jeremymcanally/perwikity/tree/master(screenshot:http://jgn.me/uploads/Perwikity.png)

Spencer Turner

Feb 28, 2009, 4:12:40 AM2/28/09
to ruby-graphi...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I talked with Matt and he'd like this to be a team effort... I am going to work on a design for the Wiki, as soon as I have the time, and I'll add a mock-up to the group as a discussion point.

Does anyone have any views on how or if they want to collaborate on this?

Maybe a github repo?

Best Regards
Spencer

jeromegn

Feb 28, 2009, 1:40:47 PM2/28/09
to Ruby Graphic Designers
I'm working on a mockup.

I was wondering though, why not just implement de guides.rails.info
look? Isn't it RoR property?

Anyways, I'll try showing something soon.

On 28 fév, 04:12, Spencer Turner <spencer.tur...@googlemail.com>

Spencer Turner

Mar 9, 2009, 4:09:17 PM3/9/09
to ruby-graphi...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I've uploaded a mock-up (JPEG) based on the Rails Guides style.

It is at Rails_Wiki_Idea.jpg. It's basically a 're-align' of the guides page, as consistency seemed like the order of the day.

Interested in any feedback.
Best Regards
Spencer