When using bundler 2.5.x, many different platforms of ffi are installed

Grant Schoep

Jul 11, 2024, 11:39:10 AMJul 11
to ruby-ffi
When I updated from Ruby 3.2.2 to Ruby 3.3.3, I noticed that a bunch more PLATFORMs were listed in my Gemfile.lock related to `ffi`

Examples below... so what I did was try to break down were this started happening. It turns out its not related to the Ruby version, but the bundler version
This starts with bundler 2.5.0.
NOTE: This is NOT causing any issues, but just wondering what is going on.

I first thought it was installing a bunch of different platforms.
But I looked and it only seemed to add a `lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/ffi-1.17.0-x86_64-linux-gnu`

So here are some details:

Ruby version:
```
$ ruby --version
ruby 3.2.2 (2023-03-30 revision e51014f9c0) [x86_64-linux]
```

Bundler Version:
```
$ bundler --version
Bundler version 2.4.10
```

Bundler platform:
```
$ bundle platform
Your platform is: x86_64-linux

Your app has gems that work on these platforms:
* x86_64-linux

Your Gemfile specifies a Ruby version requirement:
* ruby 3.2.0

Your current platform satisfies the Ruby version requirement
```

gem version:
```
gem --version
3.4.10
```

After doing a `gem install bundler -v 2.5.0` everything still looks the same (except `bundler --version` of course)

But I looked and it only seemed to add a `lib/ruby/gems/3.2.0/gems/ffi-1.17.0-x86_64-linux-gnu`

So here are the two Gemfile.lock's that get produced (when I ONLY have `gem 'ffi'` in my Gemfile) Note all the PLATFORMs

Gemfile.lock with bundler 2.4.x
```
GEM
  remote: http://rubygems.org/