Quick Question: How many names are there?

Ruben Martinez Jr.

Jul 5, 2014, 6:17:18 PM7/5/14
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious to use this (awesome looking!) gem in a project, and I'm just wondering where the name data comes from, or how it gets populated. If I were to use this gem and run a loop to generate names, how often would it repeat?

Thanks! Keep up the great work!

Jesse Cooke

Jul 6, 2014, 4:25:28 AM7/6/14
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
The name data comes from the YAML files in lib/locales.

`Faker::Name.name` essentially calls `first_name` and `last_name` (which both rely on `fetch`, which the implementation takes a sample of all the items in the corresponding array) you'll get some random distribution that follows whatever Ruby's `Array#sample` follows. It will repeat.

>> require 'faker'; require 'set'
>> s = Set.new
>> 1_000_000.times { s << Faker::Name.name }
=> 1000000
>> s.size
=> 863401

That's a lot more repetition that I suspected, but you could handle that by yourself.

- Jesse