Phone numbers for 'en'-locale containing an 'x'

Simon Gabler

Aug 10, 2013, 2:21:06 PM8/10/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
I could not really understand why there are some phone numbers for the 'en'-locale that contain an 'x'.

Examples:

1-846-855-5409 x2322
(624)552-0330 x2892

I researched on Wikipedia, but couldn't really find out what the deal is with those numbers. Can anyone shed some light?

Peter Tonoli

Aug 10, 2013, 9:58:55 PM8/10/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com

The x is for an internal extension. For example, 1-846-855-5409 x2322 - you would dial the company's PABX on 1-846-855-5409, and get an IVR prompting you for an extension to call, and you would then dial 2322.

Cheers,

Louise Rains

Aug 11, 2013, 7:39:10 AM8/11/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
The x stands for extension.  The phone number gets you to the main company number, and then each employee has their own extension number.

Simon Gabler

Aug 16, 2013, 4:15:46 PM8/16/13
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you both!