Dropping Ruby 1.8.7 support?

Jo Liss

Aug 20, 2012, 6:12:59 PM8/20/12
to Capybara Mailing List
Hey list,

The Capybara 1.1-stable branch still works with Ruby 1.8.7:
http://travis-ci.org/#!/jnicklas/capybara/jobs/2182195

But master (2.0) fails horribly:
http://travis-ci.org/#!/jnicklas/capybara/jobs/2020445

I can reproduce these failures locally, so it's not just a Travis problem.

What do you think about dropping 1.8.7 support for 2.0?

Cheers,
Jo

--
Jo Liss
http://www.opinionatedprogrammer.com/

Matt Wynne

Attila

Aug 21, 2012, 5:02:35 PM8/21/12
to ruby-c...@googlegroups.com
in my opinion we need to move on and after a while it is not feasible to support older versions of ruby unless it would be very easy to get back on track with 1.8.7 as well.

this is obviously not the case. projects need to move on, if we keep supporting old versions then there will be no reason for others to keep up and that would cause a lot of headaches in the future for everybody.

i'd say go for it!

--
Attila
Sent with Sparrow

Jonas Nicklas

Aug 21, 2012, 5:19:03 PM8/21/12
to ruby-c...@googlegroups.com
Ruby 1.8 EOL is within a year. By the time 2.0 is actually released it
will probably only be a couple of months. Let's drop it.

/Jonas