Very Basic Question

Rodrigo Botafogo

Dec 28, 2015, 10:17:31 PM12/28/15
to ruby-bundler

Hello….

Sorry if this a really basic, and even stupid question, but I couldn´t find the proper way of doing this…..

So, I´m developing a Gem, and my users might not have Bundler installed. If I add

require 'bundler/setup'

on a file and my user does not have bundler, then there is a dependency error.

If on the other hand, I do not add

require 'bundler/setup'

then when doing development, the system does not find my dependencies correctly.

How should I configure my bundler so that it allows for people to do: gem install <my_gem>?

Thanks

Andre Arko

Dec 28, 2015, 10:23:08 PM12/28/15
to ruby-bundler
Hi Rodrigo,

Gems should only need Bundler for development, and never depend on Bundler while they are running. You can use `bundle exec path/to/gem_command` or `bundle exec ruby` to have the gems in your Gemfile available and set up already.

Since this boilerplate is common, when you use `bundle gem` to create a new gem, we set this up for you.

Rodrigo Botafogo

Dec 29, 2015, 4:11:31 PM12/29/15
to ruby-bundler
Hi Andre,

Thanks.  But if I use bundler for development, then do I need to comment the "require bundler/setup" when publishing the gem? Is there a way of making sure that this command will not end up published and make the Gem crash?

Rhett Sutphin

Dec 29, 2015, 5:50:06 PM12/29/15
to ruby-b...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rodrigo,

You should not have “require 'bundler/setup’” in your gem’s code at any time. When you are developing, use `bundle exec` to ensure your tests, etc., have the right gem environment. `bundle exec` modifies the ruby runtime environment so that it’s like you included “require 'bundler/setup’” in your code.

HTH,
Rhett