Reporting "Pathological" Gemfiles

Brian Buchalter

Mar 22, 2016, 5:59:31 PM3/22/16
to ruby-bundler
Hi bundler team!

First, thanks for all you do. I'm a proud contributor to RubyTogther.org!

Second, I think I've got a "pathological" Gemfile on my hands, but I'm not sure how to best report it. I saw this issue recently opened, but I haven't been able to distill the issue down to such a small set of dependencies. Is there a strategy for doing that effectively? What other information is helpful when diagnosing a pathological gemfile?

I know it is unreasonable to ask when a fix for these issues can be expected. Are there workaround strategies you could suggest?

Thanks again,

Brian

André Arko

Mar 22, 2016, 6:01:40 PM3/22/16
to ruby-b...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian!

Thanks for your support. <3

Opening an issue so we can discuss is probably the best place to start. If possible, giving us the entire Gemfile is also reasonable—we can use it as an example for the resolver performance tests.

In general, the best way to speed up the resolver is to add version constraints to your Gemfile. Instead of setting no versions, set pessimistic versions like “~> 4.0.0”, or whatever is appropriate for your situation. If you open a ticket with your Gemfile, we’ll be able to tell you more.