what does the exclamation mark (!) mean in Gemfile.lock

Byo Fuel

May 24, 2011, 2:47:13 PM5/24/11
to ruby-b...@googlegroups.com
Does the exclamation mark (!) in my Gemfile.lock occur only when a dependency is sourced from a Git repo?  Thx.

Josh Brown

Aug 5, 2014, 4:44:04 PM8/5/14
to ruby-b...@googlegroups.com
Yes, and when sourcing gems locally with the path option.

corestu...@gmail.com

May 13, 2015, 2:19:30 PM5/13/15
to ruby-b...@googlegroups.com
It's generally present when the gem was installed using a source other than "https://rubygems.org".

Kris Leech

Jan 13, 2016, 2:07:05 PM1/13/16
to ruby-bundler
I have bundler 1.11.2 locally, which adds the `!`'s. On the server bundler is 1.10.6 and `bundle install` fails with:

Warning: the running version of Bundler is older than the version that created the lockfile. We suggest you upgrade to the latest version of Bundler by running `gem install bundler`.
You are trying to install in deployment mode after changing your Gemfile. Run `bundle install` elsewhere and add the updated Gemfile.lock to version control.

If this is a development machine, remove the Gemfile freeze by running `bundle install --no-deployment`.

If I revert the commit which adds the `!`'s `bundle install` on the server works again. I'd imagine that the client/server versions didn't have to be exactly the same, just the same major version.

Tim Moore

Jan 13, 2016, 4:01:21 PM1/13/16
to ruby-b...@googlegroups.com
Kris,

That could be a bug. The ! should only be on dependencies from secondary sources, and I don't think the behavor was supposed to change between 1.10 and 1.11. Could you create an issue on GitHub with all of the information requested from https://github.com/bundler/bundler/blob/master/ISSUES.md

Thanks,
Tim