larg-ish-er test

1 view

rogerdpack

Nov 2, 2009, 5:28:43 PM11/2/09
to Ruby Benchmark Suite
I am thinking of adding a "large-ish" test of rdoc rdoc'ing a snapshot
of ruby trunk. This takes quite awhile, but is a somewhat interesting
test because it uses a lot of RAM so shows how MRI falls short there.

Generating Darkfish...

Files: 613
Classes: 1371
Modules: 577
Methods: 8067
Elapsed: 418.2s

[400 second test!]

Any objections to its addition?
Thanks.
-r

rogerdpack

Nov 12, 2009, 8:49:13 AM11/12/09
to Ruby Benchmark Suite
> I am thinking of adding a "large-ish" test of rdoc rdoc'ing a snapshot
> of ruby trunk.  This takes quite awhile, but is a somewhat interesting
> test because it uses a lot of RAM so shows how MRI falls short there.
> Any objections to its addition?

No objections it appears...

Antonio Cangiano

Nov 12, 2009, 9:41:46 AM11/12/09
to ruby-bench...@googlegroups.com

No objections. My only general recommendation is to avoid depending on external gems when adding new tests. Not all implementations have the luxury of MRI's number of gems.

Cheers,
Antonio
--
http://ThinkCode.TV - Screencast e videocorsi di programmazione
http://antoniocangiano.com - Zen and the Art of Programming

rogerdpack

Nov 12, 2009, 10:17:24 AM11/12/09
to Ruby Benchmark Suite
> No objections. My only general recommendation is to avoid depending on
> external gems when adding new tests. Not all implementations have the luxury
> of MRI's number of gems.

Yeah with the rdoc tests I've been packing a local copy of the gem
[pure ruby] to avoid any confusion. With rails it's a bit harder
(some gems are binary so it's impossible to pack them).

-r