Can RBS benchmark memory usage right now?

Tetsu

Sep 2, 2009, 12:36:02 AM9/2/09
to Ruby Benchmark Suite
Hello,

I am newbie here. I have to questions, any answer will be appreciated.
1) Can RBS benchmark memory usage right now?
2) Does RBS fit for CRuby1.9? I think it does but just want to make
sure.

Thanks a lot.
-Tetsu

Antonio Cangiano

Sep 2, 2009, 1:14:17 AM9/2/09
to ruby-bench...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Tetsu <tetsu....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I am newbie here. I have to questions, any answer will be appreciated.

Hi Tetsu,

welcome to the group.

1) Can RBS benchmark memory usage right now?

Unfortunately no. But this is something we really need to work on.

2) Does RBS fit for CRuby1.9? I think it does but just want to make
sure.

At this point, all the major implementations are able to run the RBS, including KRI (Ruby 1.9).

Cheers,
Antonio
--
Zen and the Art of Programming: http://AntonioCangiano.com
Mathematics is wonderful: http://math-blog.com

Tetsu

Sep 2, 2009, 3:48:35 AM9/2/09
to Ruby Benchmark Suite

On Sep 2, 2:14 pm, Antonio Cangiano <acangi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Tetsu <tetsu.soh....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I am newbie here. I have to questions, any answer will be appreciated.
>
> Hi Tetsu,
>
> welcome to the group.

Thank you.

> > 1) Can RBS benchmark memory usage right now?
>
> Unfortunately no. But this is something we really need to work on.

Nice to hear that. Is there anything I can do?
I am hacking Ruby processor and need to know the memory efficiency of
different implementation. But I have no idea on how to benchmark it.
It seems
that all real world Ruby applications are related to Rails, which is
another new field
for me. So confused.
If there is any concrete plan on benchmark memory, I am very glad to
join in.

Thanks again.
-Tetsu

Roger Pack

Sep 2, 2009, 8:24:22 AM9/2/09
to ruby-bench...@googlegroups.com
> Nice to hear that. Is there anything I can do?
> I am hacking Ruby processor and need to know the memory efficiency of
> different implementation. But I have no idea on how to benchmark it.
> It seems
> that all real world Ruby applications are related to Rails, which is
> another new field
> for me.  So confused.
> If there is any concrete plan on benchmark memory, I am very glad to
> join in.

There is a rails benchmark in there.
Anyway, the only way to get memory usage information [that I know of]
is to parse something like /proc/{pid}/info or something like that.
Iin windows I believe you have to use a WMI call to get the same
information. Feel free to fork and add them in :)
-r

Monty Williams

Sep 2, 2009, 9:30:42 AM9/2/09
to ruby-bench...@googlegroups.com
/proc doesn't exist on MacOSX. It would be nice to have a unified way to get memory usage, but it may have to be OS specific.

-- Monty

Antonio Cangiano

Sep 2, 2009, 9:40:12 AM9/2/09
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Monty Williams <monty.w...@gemstone.com> wrote:

/proc doesn't exist on MacOSX. It would be nice to have a unified way to get memory usage, but it may have to be OS specific.

It would definitely have to be OS specific. And I would argue that on Windows we should first fix other issues to bring it up to par with the quasi-smooth experience on Linux.

roger...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2009, 4:49:12 PM10/21/09
to Ruby Benchmark Suite

> I am newbie here. I have to questions, any answer will be appreciated.
> 1) Can RBS benchmark memory usage right now?

I just committed some code that does this. Seems to work well on
windows and Linux.
-r

Monty Williams

Oct 21, 2009, 6:24:02 PM10/21/09
to ruby-bench...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Roger! Seems to work on Mac, too.

-- Monty