Test setup

Jim Deville

Aug 10, 2009, 7:21:49 PM8/10/09
to ruby-bench...@googlegroups.com

Antonio,

I was wondering if you could tell us a little more about your test setup, in particular:

1.       Command line options used with any implementations

2.       VM Setup

a.       Does your Hypervisor utilize all procs?

b.      How is your VM isolated from host OS activities?

c.       Memory allocated to the VM

d.      Do you run both Windows and Linux inside of said VM?

                                                               i.      If not, could you so that those numbers could be somewhat comparable?

3.       Do you have any scripts outside of the rbs repo that help with running the suite? If so, could you share them?

Thanks,

JD

…there is no try

http://blog.jredville.com

Roger Pack

Aug 11, 2009, 2:41:42 PM8/11/09
to ruby-bench...@googlegroups.com
> 3.       Do you have any scripts outside of the rbs repo that help with
> running the suite? If so, could you share them?

Yeah copies scripts to compare runs would be sweet :)

Maybe someone should add something like that to the repository?

-r

Antonio Cangiano

Sep 30, 2009, 9:51:51 PM9/30/09
Jim Deville wrote:
> I was wondering if you could tell us a little more about your test
> setup, in particular:

Hi Jim,

I'm writing this reply so late (sorry!) that I don't fully recall all
the testing details. What I remember is that I didn't use any special
scripts outside of the RBS repo so there was quite a bit of manual work
involved. This is particularly true because the suite doesn't quite
report things properly out of the box on Windows. For example timeouts
don't work every time, and sometimes they are reported as nil. It would
be good if there were some efforts towards improving Windows support.

Cheers,
Antonio
--
http://antoniocangiano.com - Zen and the Art of Programming
http://math-blog.com - Mathematics is wonderful!

rogerdpack

Oct 12, 2009, 1:52:00 PM10/12/09
to Ruby Benchmark Suite

> report things properly out of the box on Windows. For example timeouts
> don't work every time, and sometimes they are reported as nil. It would
> be good if there were some efforts towards improving Windows support.

I believe I can get more reliable timeouts if I use the win32-process
gem [which would mean you'd have to use MRI/KRI as the driver
always]. If that's ok I'll go ahead and add it.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce the nil's in the
reports, but I did reproduce a different bug [1] so fixing that might
help us out.

Thanks.
-r

[1] http://github.com/acangiano/ruby-benchmark-suite/issues#issue/4

Jim Deville

Oct 12, 2009, 1:53:35 PM10/12/09
to ruby-bench...@googlegroups.com
That's fine with me. The other option would be to shell out to taskkill, but that might not be as portable.

JD