running with jruby on doze

roger...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2009, 7:36:02 PM12/11/09
to Ruby Benchmark Suite
Appears that currently, because jruby shys away from actually
including "ruby.exe" in their distro,
the current way to run jruby on doze is to specify jruby as the VM

... VM=jruby

even if you're running rake under jruby.

Just a note.
-r

Charles Oliver Nutter

Dec 11, 2009, 9:46:29 PM12/11/09
to ruby-benchmark-suite
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 6:36 PM, roger...@gmail.com
<roger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Appears that currently, because jruby shys away from actually
> including "ruby.exe" in their distro,
> the current way to run jruby on doze is to specify jruby as the VM

I think we'd piss off a lot of people if we included a ruby.exe that
was actually JRuby, and at least at one point that violated the Ruby
license (not allowed to have other works that resolve to "ruby").
Maybe that provision isn't there anymore, but it seems like we'd make
some folks angry.

On the other hand, shipping a "ruby" executable with JRuby would make
a lot more apps "just work", like Rails with its defaulting to "ruby"
for any external commands it launches...

- Charlie