How to generate EAN13 barcode with any number of digits from 1 to 12

Evgeniy Martynenko

May 14, 2019, 12:33:13 PM5/14/19
to Barby
I want to use the 'barby' gem in my application and I need to generate barcode from any number of digits from 1 to 12.
How can I do that?
Thank you!

Regards Evgeniy.

Tore Darell

May 14, 2019, 1:04:51 PM5/14/19
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
EAN-13 must have 12 digits, so you'll have to zero-pad your numbers.

Evgeniy Martynenko

May 14, 2019, 1:30:21 PM5/14/19
to Barby
I know, but this barcode will have used for own purposes of customer.
I tried to modify ean_13.rb in such way:
---------------------
FORMAT = /^\d{1,12}$/
---------------------
def left_numbers
    numbers.length == 12 ? numbers[1,6] : numbers[0,(numbers.length/2.0).ceil]
end
---------------------
def right_numbers
    numbers.length == 12 ? numbers_with_checksum[7,6] : numbers_with_checksum[numbers.length/2, numbers.length]
end
---------------------
But it seems to work a bit wrong for odd number of digits.
How can I change code else for more or less right generator working?

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 6:33 PM Evgeniy Martynenko <mspru...@gmail.com> wrote:
I want to use the 'barby' gem in my application and I need to generate barcode from any number of digits from 1 to 12.
How can I do that?
Thank you!

Regards Evgeniy.

Tore Darell

May 14, 2019, 1:32:43 PM5/14/19
to ruby-...@googlegroups.com
You can't, it must be 12 digits or it's not EAN-13. If you explain why you're trying to do this maybe I can suggest a different solution.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/ruby-barby.