Some kind of timeout: "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"

Max

Mar 18, 2011, 10:06:14 PM3/18/11
to Ruby Arduino Development
This is with an Arduino UNO board hooked up via USB.

I have a feeling this is because the version of RAD I'm using (from
rubyforge) needs Arduino 0012, which probably isn't exactly compatible
with the UNO board or something.

Which branch should I get from where to be able to use this? My goal
is not to have to program this thing in C at all. Please help me make
that dream come true.

Darius

Mar 19, 2011, 12:17:04 PM3/19/11
to ruby-arduino...@googlegroups.com, Max
Hey Max,

Have you gotten this arduino working before? I don't know the UNO board, but many times you have to hit the reset button a certain number of seconds before it is ready to receive an upload signal. thus... 'not responding'. I sometimes have to wait 7 seconds.

Also try other baud rates if that doesn't work.

max

Mar 19, 2011, 5:23:02 PM3/19/11
to Darius, ruby-arduino...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your response.

This board works great with the regular Arduino software programmed in
C, either from my linux computer or mac, though it sometimes gives
that timeout when the program I'm replacing on the board doesn't have
many delay() statements in it. The resetting trick works in that case,
but doesn't seem to have any effect when I'm using RAD to do the same.
The program I'm testing with is pretty simple:

class Ledflash < ArduinoSketch
output_pin 13, :as => :led

def loop
blink led, 100
end
end

...and it compiles just fine of course, but just can't seem to get
uploaded to the board.

I've installed the newer FTDI drivers recommended, and I'm using the
madrona-rad branch of RAD, though I've also tried to do this with the
regular stable branch and the atduskgreg branch and each one has its
own unique set of not-quite-useful errors it throws at me.

Just tried changing the baud rate to 9600 baud (which I've used with
this board for serial communications in the regular Arduino IDE before
and it works) and still no dice.

Any help would be much appreciated, 'cause I don't want to settle for
programming this thing in C if I can avoid it.

- m a x

JuliaL

Jun 21, 2012, 5:51:19 AM6/21/12
to ruby-arduino...@googlegroups.com, Darius
Hi Max,

I was able to get RAD to work with my Arduino Uno that has an ATMega328P processor. I was having the same problem with the timeout error. If you're still interested, here's what worked for me:

I used a baud of 115200, which I set in /vendor/rad/generators/makefile/makefile.erb to the upload rate like this: 'UPLOAD_RATE = 115200'.

I also am using the latest version of the arduino software, version 1.0 right now, and I also set the "AVRDUDE_PROGRAMMER = arduino" in makefile.erb, and the 'mcu: atmega328p' in config/hardware.

Also, I've uploaded the full source for a rails app that blinks an led on pin 13 here when you click a button in the web interface: http://github.com/JuliaLovel/arduino-rails. It works by running the make upload task in the background.

I hope that works for you, it's definitely pretty cool to be able to program the arduino in ruby. Good luck!

- Julia