Sparkfun Serial LCD question

Sophie

Dec 16, 2009, 6:06:23 PM12/16/09
to ruby-arduino...@googlegroups.com
Just got the LCD, connected up power, gnd, and Rx to digital pin 5.

This is my sketch:

swser_LCDsf 5, :as => :my_lcd

def loop
my_lcd.setxy 0,0
my_lcd.print "Bananas!"
my_lcd.setxy 0,1
my_lcd.print "Apples!"
end

Nothing shows on the LCD.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to configure baud rate in the
Skech? On the LCD?

Thanks!

Sophie

Dec 16, 2009, 8:18:00 PM12/16/09
to ruby-arduino...@googlegroups.com
Ah, the LCD arrived with the contrast set wrong. The sketch was
actually working fine, just could not see it. Adjusted the contrast
trim-pot and now all is fine.

Thanks!

p.s. I prefer
output_pin 8, :as => :my_lcd, :device => :sf_lcd
swser_LCDsf 8, :as => :my_lcd

Is there any functional difference?

> --

> .

JD Barnhart

Dec 16, 2009, 11:27:12 PM12/16/09
to ruby-arduino...@googlegroups.com
I would go with your preference (output_pin 8, :as => :my_lcd, :device => :sf_lcd) since we spent more time with that -- also you can take a peek at the resulting c code for specific differences -- in your case only one line.