Running ruby at the core of arduino

CrazyCarl

Mar 16, 2011, 12:55:44 AM3/16/11
to Ruby Arduino Development
can this be done?

JD Barnhart

Mar 16, 2011, 5:54:33 PM3/16/11
to ruby-arduino...@googlegroups.com
Not really -- the arduino is running compiled C or C++ ....see: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/BuildProcess

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 9:55 PM, CrazyCarl <carl...@gmail.com> wrote:
can this be done?

BenH

Mar 17, 2011, 8:28:37 PM3/17/11
to Ruby Arduino Development
There is rubygem RAD for creating compiled sketches
While it doesn't actually run ruby it does use a ruby DSL for writing
arduino code.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKbHcMaC_cA

Ben

BenH

Mar 17, 2011, 8:21:48 PM3/17/11
to Ruby Arduino Development
Not likely. You would have to have a native ruby interpreter running
on a relatively simple platform. From a memory and computing power
standpoint the arduino would spend all it's time running the
interpreter rather than your ruby app. If you had a method to compile
a ruby app this might be a different story. Binary tools today don't
actually compile; rather, they package a ruby interpreter and the code
into an executable.

If someone knows better I'd love to hear that I'm wrong.