Explain what I do next - it doesn‘t seem to work as it should.

IKT

Nov 7, 2010, 4:37:02 AM11/7/10
to Ruby Arduino Development
I have just installed RAD, and tried the blink example and got this
and don’t see any guidance of what to do next:

$ rad blink
Successfully created your sketch directory.
Installed RAD into blink/vendor/rad

Successfully created your libraries directory.
Installed AF_XPort into blink/vendor/libraries

Installed AFSoftSerial into blink/vendor/libraries

Installed DS1307 into blink/vendor/libraries

Installed FrequencyTimer2 into blink/vendor/libraries

Installed I2CEEPROM into blink/vendor/libraries

Installed LoopTimer into blink/vendor/libraries

Installed OneWire into blink/vendor/libraries

Installed Servo into blink/vendor/libraries

Installed Stepper into blink/vendor/libraries

Installed SWSerLCDpa into blink/vendor/libraries

Installed SWSerLCDsf into blink/vendor/libraries

Installed Wire into blink/vendor/libraries

Successfully created your examples directory.
Installed examples into blink/examples

Successfully created your plugins directory.
Installed Default plugins into blink/vendor/plugins

Successfully created your default sketch directory.
Added blink/blink.rb
Added blink/Rakefile
Added blink/config
Added blink/config/hardware.yml
Added blink/config/software.yml

Run 'rake -T' inside your sketch dir to learn how to compile and
upload it.
*** Please note: This version supports ***
*** Arduino 12 only! ***
*** run rad install arduino to upgrade ***

$ rad install arduino
Downloading arduino-0012 for Mac from Arduino.cc
Progress: 100% |oooooooooooooooooooooooo| 2.8KB 432.6KB/s Time:
00:00:00
Unzipping...
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is
not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In
the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found
on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of arduino-0012.zip or
arduino-0012.zip.zip, and cannot find arduino-0012.zip.ZIP,
period.
installed Arduino here: /Applications/arduino-0012

aharbick

Nov 8, 2010, 8:11:11 AM11/8/10
to Ruby Arduino Development
Looks like you need to:
a. Add code to your blink.rb (e.g. like from the RAD home page.
b. Configure your hardware also as shown on the RAD home page.
c. Plugin your arduino and do "rake make:upload"

lostcaggy

Nov 8, 2010, 9:32:32 AM11/8/10
to Ruby Arduino Development
Have a look at madrona's fork, it supports a later version of Arduino
github.com/madrona/rad

I gave a talk on using RAD and ruby at this years scottish ruby
conference
http://video2010.scottishrubyconference.com/show_video/5/2

Email me f you want more info.
Martin

IKT

Dec 5, 2010, 8:09:08 AM12/5/10
to Ruby Arduino Development
Excellent! Thanks.

I tried the new “fork” version. It doesn’t work. Following these
instructions that I found:
https://github.com/madrona/rad#readme
I got as far as rake make:upload and then this horrendous error
occurred:

rake make:upload
(in /Users/ian/my_project)
/Users/ian/my_project/vendor/rad/init.rb:8: warning: already
initialized constant PLUGIN_C_VAR_TYPES
mkdir -p /Users/ian/my_project/my_project
1 of 18 plugins are being loaded: blink.rb
rake aborted!
No such file or directory - /Applications/arduino-0015/hardware/
boards.txt

I took a look at the video you linked to but there’s something wrong
with it — it’s just a bunch of people sitting fidgeting while looking
at a screen forever while nothing happens. Or was that supposed to be
the joke?

On Nov 8, 2:32 pm, lostcaggy <mar...@domeweb.co.uk> wrote:
> Have a look at madrona's fork, it supports a later version of Arduino
> github.com/madrona/rad
>
> I gave a talk on using RAD and ruby at this years scottish ruby
> conferencehttp://video2010.scottishrubyconference.com/show_video/5/2

IKT

Dec 5, 2010, 8:12:08 AM12/5/10
to Ruby Arduino Development
By the way, I forgot to mention, I spotted an error:

when I typed the line
gem sources -a http://gemcutter.org (you only have to do this once)

I got an error:
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

So I tried it again without the brackets and also without what’s in
the brackets.

Only then did it actually work without complaining.