RAD for osx, working?

Alberto Morales

Sep 5, 2011, 6:01:09 PM9/5/11
to Ruby Arduino Development
All:

I would like to use RAD to teach kids how to play with controller
boards and maybe a toy car. I want to do this in ruby to keep things
simple. But with OSX, it seems that I am not in the happy path.

I had to downgrade to 1.8.7, which is fine, but then I had to look for
an old install of arduino to get the
/arduino-0012/hardware/tools/avr/ files

Now it seems that I have everything I need to make and compile, but
somehow this is stuck at communicating with the device.

/Applications/arduino-0012/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -F -p
atmega168 -P /dev/tty.usbserial* -c stk500 -b 19200 -C /Applications/
arduino-0012/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -U
flash:w:my_sketch.hex
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

The board works fine with the Arduino app, and I am able to upload new
code to it. I am using OSX 10.6 and I have the following in the
software.yml file:

---
serial_port: /dev/tty.usbserial*
physical_reset: false
mcu: atmega168

The hardware.yml file has

---
serial_port: /dev/tty.usbserial*
physical_reset: false
mcu: atmega168

I am using the Duemilanove board.

Thanks,

Alberto.

Rodney Degracia

Sep 13, 2011, 1:11:09 AM9/13/11
to Ruby Arduino Development
I don't know if this will help, but my software.yml contains

---
arduino_root: /Applications/arduino-0012

Rodney

Alberto Morales

Sep 28, 2011, 1:29:52 AM9/28/11
to Ruby Arduino Development
Rodney:

Thanks for your help.

I used your fork, and worked from there to try to get Arduino022 to
work with RAD and OSX. I had to hardcode the path into the makefile
itself. I will probably pull that out to the configuration yaml file,
so that it can work for all versions.

I am able to compile the simple blink examples, but the serial input
is not compiling yet. I am still working on the build instructions,
which version 022 Arduino seems to do differently than RAD. Thanks for
your writeup, it helped me get a better understanding of the current
issues.

g...@github.com:arduino4kids/rad.git

Alberto.

http://www.elitefrontier.org/2011/9/12/rad-0-2-2-gem-list

Ron Evans

Sep 28, 2011, 10:07:33 AM9/28/11
to ruby-arduino...@googlegroups.com
Alberto, will you be at RubyConf?

Sent from my iPhone

rdeg...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2011, 11:44:27 AM9/28/11
to ruby-arduino...@googlegroups.com
Albert,

Thanks for taking the time to add improvements.

Please send me a pull request with your changes so I can test and merge into my fork.

Thanks!

Rodney Degracia

Sent from my iPhone

Alberto Morales