The version indicated on the page and the version you get don’t seem to make sense

IKT

Nov 7, 2010, 4:30:44 AM11/7/10
to Ruby Arduino Development
This page: http://rad.rubyforge.org/ says “get version 0.2.2” but when
I follow the instructions given, “ sudo gem install rad” I get
rad-0.3.0.

How can it still be saying “get version 0.2.2”, then, in that case?
That doesn’t make any sense at all.

I’m also looking for instructions on how to learn RAD, beyond the
blink example given. There isn’t enough tutorial material on the above
web site to get anything else done. There’s also virtually no mention
of projects, tutorial material, examples or anything to learn from on
the other arduino.cc site. Why would this be? It seems to me that
learning ruby and RAD looks like a far easier ordeal than learning C
using the Arduino software. I really would have thought that this
would be the dominant approach to using the whole Arduino Lilypad
system. Or am I looking at the wrong pages and haven’t yet discovered
where all the real activity is occurring?

aharbick

Nov 8, 2010, 8:06:17 AM11/8/10
to Ruby Arduino Development
Caveat emptor ;) I haven't actually used RAD... Just thought found it
and thought it'd be nice to work in Ruby.

You can do "gem install --version 0.2.2 rad" That said, I'd be kinda
surprised if the latest version didn't work at all (now certainly it
might not work unless you upgrade various things)

Documentation... RAD is just a wrapper around the core API. I'd bet
that you can get most tutorials/examples for Arduino/C-based projects
working in Ruby just by figuring out how to convert the syntax. Have
you read these http://rad.rubyforge.org/rdoc/

As for whether this would be the dominant approach or not...
Certainly if you were going to target primarily people with limit
programming experience (or people with Ruby experience) you'd do
something like RAD... Or actually you'd do something like http://modk.it.
However building hardware stuff has traditionally (and perhaps always
will) been a C thing so they chose to start with an environment that
encapsulates that; presumably because that was easier than wrapping
everything.

On Nov 7, 4:30 am, IKT <ian.tind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This page:http://rad.rubyforge.org/says “get version 0.2.2” but when

Martin Evans

Nov 7, 2010, 10:58:04 AM11/7/10
to ruby-arduino...@googlegroups.com
Have a look at madrona's fork
github.com/madrona/rad

I gave a talkmon using RAD and ruby at this years scottish ruby conference

Email me f you want more info.
Martin

PEWTER
Internet Solutions
Tel: 01771 622006

Patrick Mulder

Nov 7, 2010, 2:04:05 PM11/7/10
to ruby-arduino...@googlegroups.com
have you tried irc, the #arduino channel.

I bought an Arduino board some months ago, but had problems to get RAD
working too with the Arduino chipset I had.
I saw somewhere that help is needed to push the latest versions.
Eventually you want to take a look at github: https://github.com/atduskgreg/rad
there are quite some people watching and forking RAD.

Patrick

IKT

Dec 5, 2010, 8:23:47 AM12/5/10
to Ruby Arduino Development
That’s interesting. I’ll try that too.

By the way, this one has the same error with the line:
gem sources -a http://gemcutter.org (you only have to do this once)
but I’ve deleted the brackets and everything between the brackets, and
it passes through properly now.

Incidentally, where it says:
”$ sudo gem install atduskgreg-rad

A very old and feature poor (though slightly more ‘stable’ RAD) is
available from RubyGems:
$ sudo gem install rad"

Does this mean that I’m getting two types of rad? One after the other?
Or does the first one add to the second? Or do I skip the first, or
skip the second? I’ve tried it with both this time, but it gives this
error:

Successfully installed rad-0.3.0
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for rad-0.3.0...
Installing RDoc documentation for rad-0.3.0...
Could not find main page README.txt
Could not find main page README.txt
Could not find main page README.txt
Could not find main page README.txt

Is that a problem?

On Nov 7, 7:04 pm, Patrick Mulder <mul...@mtpartners.de> wrote:
> have you tried irc, the #arduino channel.
>
> I bought an Arduino board some months ago, but had problems to get RAD
> working too with the Arduino chipset I had.
> I saw somewhere that help is needed to push the latest versions.
> Eventually you want to take a look at github:  https://github.com/atduskgreg/rad
> there are quite some people watching and forking RAD.
>
> Patrick
>

> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 10:30 AM, IKT <ian.tind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This page:http://rad.rubyforge.org/says “get version 0.2.2” but when

IKT

Dec 5, 2010, 8:24:52 AM12/5/10
to Ruby Arduino Development
No, using the second line here:

$ sudo gem install atduskgreg-rad

A very old and feature poor (though slightly more ‘stable’ RAD) is
available from RubyGems:
$ sudo gem install rad

shows me this:

*** Please note: This version supports ***
*** Arduino 12 only! ***
*** run rad install arduino to upgrade ***

Surely this isn’t correct?

On Nov 7, 7:04 pm, Patrick Mulder <mul...@mtpartners.de> wrote:
> have you tried irc, the #arduino channel.
>
> I bought an Arduino board some months ago, but had problems to get RAD
> working too with the Arduino chipset I had.
> I saw somewhere that help is needed to push the latest versions.
> Eventually you want to take a look at github:  https://github.com/atduskgreg/rad
> there are quite some people watching and forking RAD.
>
> Patrick
>

> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 10:30 AM, IKT <ian.tind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This page:http://rad.rubyforge.org/says “get version 0.2.2” but when

IKT

Dec 5, 2010, 1:21:45 PM12/5/10
to Ruby Arduino Development
As an experiment I uninstalled the last line:
sudo gem uninstall rad

then reinstalled
sudo gem install atduskgreg-rad

All I get when I do
rad my_project
is:
/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
`gem_original_require': no such file to load -- /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/
gems/atduskgreg-rad-0.3.1/bin/../lib/rad/darwin_installer.rb
(LoadError)
from /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
`require'
from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/atduskgreg-rad-0.3.1/bin/rad:18
from /usr/bin/rad:19:in `load'
from /usr/bin/rad:19

It doeesn’t work.