Why was 2.14.0 yanked?

steve...@pin.net.au

Apr 5, 2019, 6:52:13 AM4/5/19
to Ruby RabbitMQ libraries
Hi,

Have there been any announcements about why 2.14.0 was yanked from rubygems and 2.14.1 released? With the recent hacking of the bootstrap-sass gem I'm nervous about unexplained gem updates.

Regards,

Steven Webb

Michael Klishin

Apr 5, 2019, 6:56:34 AM4/5/19
to Ruby RabbitMQ libraries

Michael Klishin

Apr 5, 2019, 7:03:32 AM4/5/19
to Ruby RabbitMQ libraries
Bunny has a pretty detailed change log on every maintained branch. I suggest you consult it whenever
a new release comes out.

Bunny API has been pretty stable over the course of many years and my focus is much more on RabbitMQ itself
these days, so I've been dropping the ball on announcing Bunny releases here. Sorry.
The change log is updated every time a release is produced, though, without exceptions.

I think the best course of action would be to incorporate Bunny releases and events such as yanked gem versions
into This Month in RabbitMQ posts [1].

Steven Webb

Apr 7, 2019, 10:12:21 PM4/7/19
to ruby...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response Michael. It wasn't the new release which was confusing me, so much as the unexplained yanking.

FYI the author of bundler suggests yanking is usually a bad idea and should only be done in a few specific cases. Gems are not usually yanked because they contain bugs:

--
Bunny: http://rubybunny.info
March Hare: http://rubymarchhare.info

IRC: #rabbitmq on irc.freenode.net

Dr Steven Webb | Senior Full-stack Developer

Pin Payments

Level 1, 68 St Georges Terrace, Perth WA 6000
pinpayments.com
  |  1300 364 800  |  @pinpayments

Michael Klishin

Apr 8, 2019, 5:38:13 AM4/8/19
to Ruby RabbitMQ libraries
I remember only times a Bunny version was yanked in its 10 year history.

Both fall into the "version stops working entirely" category (for Windows users, which is a non-trivial part of the population).

But good to know what Bundler's maintainers recommend using it for. I hope we can go on for another few years without removing any versions :)