A question about `subscribe` with `block: true`

Evgeniy Fateev

Jun 15, 2020, 4:42:58 AM6/15/20
to Ruby RabbitMQ libraries
Hi, guys! Recently I've found that it's strongly discouraged to use `Bunny::Queue#subscribe` with `block: true` option (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ruby-amqp/yRpOup_Qja4/UbnS6QhQAgAJ).

If possible, can somebody help me understand why using `block: true` option is bad for blocking the main thread? It is quite convenient if your application just a consumer of the queue and you need to start it and keep the main thread alive.

Also what are the alternative possibilities for doing this without `block: true`?

Thanks in advance!

Evgeniy Fateev

Jun 15, 2020, 6:31:48 AM6/15/20
to Ruby RabbitMQ libraries
Looks like `loop { sleep 1 }` is a straightforward way to keep main thread alive.

But still curious about `block: true` considerations.

Michael Klishin

Jun 24, 2020, 5:46:28 PM6/24/20
to Ruby RabbitMQ libraries
It does not work well with automatic connection recovery. There is no easy way to cancel such consumer.
It's just too limited to be useful beyond basic tutorials and experiments.