Webview addJavaScriptInterface

Gerard Fowley

Apr 16, 2015, 12:52:46 PM4/16/15
to rub...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the latest 1.3.0 release, it's motivated me to return to an unfinished project.

I have run into a problem using Webview I hope I can get some help with...

I am using a Webview and Javascript to provide a custom user interface. The Javascript code needs to get data from the Activity via an object made available to Javascript with Webview.addJavaScriptInterface() :
See http://developer.android.com/reference/android/webkit/WebView.html#addJavascriptInterface(java.lang.Object, java.lang.String)

(Despite the name of this method, the passed object does not require implementation of a Java Interface.)
For testing purposes I am targeting SDK 16 to remove the Java Annotation requirement from the mix.

I can successfully pass existing Java objects and access their methods from a Chrome Javascript console for the Webview:
See https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/remote-debugging#debugging-webviews
... which is very cool btw!

For an instance of java.lang.String (mywebview_activity.rb):
@wv.add_javascript_interface java::lang::String.new("abc"), "jsi_string"

Javascript console results are as expected:
jsi_string.toString()             #=> "abc"
jsi_string
.length()               #=> 3
jsi_string
.toUpperCase()          #=> "ABC"

But for instances of Ruby classes, with various attempts to specify their Java counterparts (mywebview_activity.rb):
class JSIRuby
  java_signature
"java.lang.String ok()"

def ok ; "ok" ; end
end

class JSIRubySubJava < java::lang::Object
  java_signature
"java.lang.String ok()"

def ok ; "ok" ; end
end

@wv.add_javascript_interface JSIRuby.new,                   "jsi_ruby"
@wv.add_javascript_interface JSIRubySubJava.new,            "jsi_rubysubjava"
@wv.add_javascript_interface JSIRuby.new.to_java,           "jsi_ruby_to_java"
@wv.add_javascript_interface JSIRubySubJava.new.to_java,    "jsi_rubysubjava_to_java"

Some Java Object methods are accessible from Javascript:
jsi_ruby.toString()               #=> "#<JSIRuby:0x3fd64234>"
jsi_ruby_tojava
.toString()        #=> "#<JSIRuby:0x1af07fd7>"
jsi_rubysubjava
.toString()        #=> "org.jruby.proxy.java.lang.Object$Proxy0@e176b18"
jsi_rubysubjava_tojava
.toString() #=> "org.jruby.proxy.java.lang.Object$Proxy0@36a420c4"

But not the Ruby methods:
jsi_ruby.ok()                     #=> Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function
jsi_ruby_tojava
.ok()              #=> Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function
jsi_rubysubjava
.ok()              #=> Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function
jsi_rubysubjava_tojava
.ok()       #=> Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function

I also tried a Ruby class with explicit Java backing class:
ruboto gen subclass java.lang.Object --name=JSIJavaCustom --method_base=none

... created Java methods (JSIJavaCustom.java):
  public java.lang.String ok() {

if (ScriptLoader.isCalledFromJRuby()) return "oops! - ScriptLoader.isCalledFromJRuby()";

if (!JRubyAdapter.isInitialized()) {

Log.i("Method called before JRuby runtime was initialized: JSIJavaCustom#ok");

return "oops! - !JRubyAdapter.isInitialized()";

}

String rubyClassName = scriptInfo.getRubyClassName();

if (rubyClassName == null) return "oops! - rubyClassName == null";

return (java.lang.String) JRubyAdapter.runRubyMethod(java.lang.String.class, scriptInfo.getRubyInstance(), "ok");

}

public java.lang.String ok_java() {

return "ok_java";

}

... created Ruby methods (jsi_java_custom.rb):
class JSIJavaCustom
  java_signature
"java.lang.String ok()"

def ok

"ok"

end
end

... passed an instance to the Webview (mywebview_activity.rb):
require_relative 'jsi_java_custom.rb'
@wv.add_javascript_interface JSIJavaCustom.new,             "jsi_javacustom"

For Javascript console result:
jsi_javacustom.toString()         #=> "#<JSIJavaCustom:0x33a028c6>"
jsi_javacustom
.ok_java()          #=> Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function
jsi_javacustom
.ok()               #=> Uncaught TypeError: undefined is not a function

...it seems that only the Java superclass methods are accessible.

I did all of the above with and without java_signature specified.

A final effort with .become_java! :
See https://github.com/jruby/jruby/wiki/GeneratingJavaClasses
...went nowhere fast:
# .newInstance() causes java.lang.InstantiationException: class org.jruby.RubyObject has no zero argument constructor
#  @wv.add_javascript_interface (JSIRuby.become_java!).newInstance(), "jsi_ruby_become_java"

# .become_java! does not work for subclasses of Java classes : https://github.com/jruby/jruby/issues/2359
# @wv.add_javascript_interface (JSIRubySubJava.become_java!).new, "jsi_rubysubjava_become_java"

Right now I have no idea what else to try.

Have I missed something about Ruboto/JRuby to Java interfacing ?
Does the Android Webview require a specific Java-ism that Ruboto/JRuby interfacing does not provide ?

I will share a repo of this test app.
Thanks.
-gf-

Gerard Fowley

Apr 16, 2015, 1:08:49 PM4/16/15
to rub...@googlegroups.com

Uwe Kubosch

Apr 17, 2015, 7:00:35 AM4/17/15
to rub...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gerard!

Good to have you back.  :)  Could you open an issue in the tracker for this?  That makes it easier for me to track it :)

I am swamped with a huge backlog, but I will try to look at it this weekend.

Uwe Kubosch

Gerard Fowley

Apr 17, 2015, 11:04:48 AM4/17/15
to ruboto
Thanks. I'll keep working this myself too.

For anybody who wants to follow, issue opened at: https://github.com/ruboto/ruboto/issues/719

-gf-