Rubber 3.2.1 not adding security groups to our new EC2 instances

Michael Kazmier

Aug 12, 2016, 12:07:40 PM8/12/16
to rubber
Hello,

We have been using rubber for years (thanks Kevin and other devs!) and I honestly could not live without it.   We have deployed about 6 EC2 instances in the past, and now we are needing to add two more, tut we are having a problem now creating the instances that we never had before.  We are in EC2 classic mode and when I create the instance like this:

RUBBER_ENV=production ALIAS=app-e1a-02 ROLES=app,web,apache,passenger,db cap rubber:create

We don't get anything but the default security group.  In rubber.yml, I have:

auto_security_groups: false
isolate_security_groups: false
roles:
web:
assigned_security_groups: [web]
web_tools:
assigned_security_groups: [web_tools]

I have tried with and without auto_security_groups (ie true/false).  When true, we get a lot of security groups created but NONE are assigned to the new host.  As you know, in EC2 classic your have to assign the security groups at the beginning.  Everything else works perfectly... just this issue.

I am using Rubber 3.2.1, fog 1.38.0, fog-aws 0.11.0

Any ideas?

Thanks

Kevin Menard

Sep 4, 2016, 11:08:14 PM9/4/16
to rubbe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

Sorry for just getting to this. I'm traveling and won't be back for another week or so. I'll try to square away some time to look at this afterwards. To the best of my knowledge, nothing related to security groups for EC2 Classic has changed in quite some time. It's possible we regressed somehow with the introduction of VPC, but it's just as possible Amazon has changed things up a bit.

Just to verify though, you are indeed looking to set up in an EC2 Classic environment?

--
Kevin

Michael Kazmier

Sep 7, 2016, 11:31:18 AM9/7/16
to rubber
Sorry for the slow reply Kevin.

Just to verify though, you are indeed looking to set up in an EC2 Classic environment?

To confirm, we HAVE an existing EC2 classic environment that I had setup and manage with rubber for the last two years.  It has 2 production boxes and one staging box.  I was trying to add two more production boxes.  I ended up having to create them manually because the security groups would not assign properly.  I then was able to bootstrap and everything else as needed.  I am happy to help trouble shoot this, just let me know what I can do.

Thanks

Kevin Menard

Sep 8, 2016, 9:26:33 PM9/8/16
to rubbe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

Sorry for the barrage of potentially obvious questions. But the machines you're looking to bring up are also in a region that you've used EC2 Classic with before? Even if you have an EC2 Classic environment, if you bring machines up in a new region they'll end up in an auto VPC. We do have to handle the auto VPC a bit, since it's not as transparent as the docs suggest it will be.

--
Thanks,
Kevin