Rubber 4 Plans

Kevin Menard

Jan 10, 2016, 5:05:13 PM1/10/16
to rubbe...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I made mention in the Rubber 3.2.0 release announcement that Rubber 4's
release would target Ruby 2.0+ and its release would be in the near
future. I'd really like to get a sense of how many people would be
affected by dropping support for Ruby 1.9.3. I intend on maintaining the
3.x branch with 1.9.3 compatibility for as long as is practical. Having
a sense of its impact would be very helpful.

--
Thanks,
Kevin

Justin Hart

Jan 10, 2016, 6:56:12 PM1/10/16
to rubbe...@googlegroups.com
On our part, we switched to ruby2.1 last year and haven’t looked back. :-)

2.2 has to wait till we finally get on rails4.2, which will be sometime before midyear.

Mohamed Fadlalla

Jan 11, 2016, 9:37:18 AM1/11/16
to rubber
Hi Kevin,

What about JRuby, what's the minimum version of JRuby that will be supported by Rubber 4. We're still running Jruby 1.7.12

Kevin Menard

Jan 11, 2016, 11:12:37 AM1/11/16
to rubbe...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to try to get things working with JRuby 1.7.x's 2.0 mode. It's not entirely Ruby 2.0 compatible, but I think we can limit Rubber development to the subset supported by 1.7.x. However, I can't guarantee what the dependency graph does. E.g., if net-ssh decides it wants to use Module#prepend, I think you're just going to be out of luck. I will keep 3.x releases for a little while in case that doesn't work out so well.

You may want to consider working on an upgrade to JRuby 9.x. It should be a drop-in replacement for 1.7.x in most cases and will give you Ruby 2.2 compatibility (soon to be 2.3 compatibility).

--
Kevin