Vagrant: Rubber provisioner could not be found

Kyle Schutt

Feb 11, 2016, 11:00:45 AM2/11/16
to rubber

Hello all,

I have been attempting to get Vagrant with Rubber up and running but I seem to have run into a road block. After running vagrant install plugin rubber, I tried to run vagrant up but I am getting the following error:

Bringing machine 'vagrant' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
There are errors in the configuration of this machine. Please fix
the following errors and try again:

vm:
* The 'rubber' provisioner could not be found

Here is my Vagrantfile:

# -*- mode: ruby -*-
# vi: set ft=ruby :

# All Vagrant configuration is done below. The "2" in Vagrant.configure
# configures the configuration version (we support older styles for
# backwards compatibility). Please don't change it unless you know what
# you're doing.
Vagrant.configure(2) do |config|
  # The most common configuration options are documented and commented below.
  # For a complete reference, please see the online documentation at
  # https://docs.vagrantup.com.

  # Every Vagrant development environment requires a box. You can search for
  # boxes at https://atlas.hashicorp.com/search.
  config.vm.box = "base"

  # Disable automatic box update checking. If you disable this, then
  # boxes will only be checked for updates when the user runs
  # `vagrant box outdated`. This is not recommended.
  # config.vm.box_check_update = false

  # Create a forwarded port mapping which allows access to a specific port
  # within the machine from a port on the host machine. In the example below,
  # accessing "localhost:8080" will access port 80 on the guest machine.
  # config.vm.network "forwarded_port", guest: 80, host: 8080

  # Create a private network, which allows host-only access to the machine
  # using a specific IP.
  # config.vm.network "private_network", ip: "192.168.33.10"

  # Create a public network, which generally matched to bridged network.
  # Bridged networks make the machine appear as another physical device on
  # your network.
  # config.vm.network "public_network"

  # Share an additional folder to the guest VM. The first argument is
  # the path on the host to the actual folder. The second argument is
  # the path on the guest to mount the folder. And the optional third
  # argument is a set of non-required options.
  # config.vm.synced_folder "../data", "/vagrant_data"

  # Provider-specific configuration so you can fine-tune various
  # backing providers for Vagrant. These expose provider-specific options.
  # Example for VirtualBox:
  #
  # config.vm.provider "virtualbox" do |vb|
  #   # Display the VirtualBox GUI when booting the machine
  #   vb.gui = true
  #
  #   # Customize the amount of memory on the VM:
  #   vb.memory = "1024"
  # end
  #
  # View the documentation for the provider you are using for more
  # information on available options.

  # Define a Vagrant Push strategy for pushing to Atlas. Other push strategies
  # such as FTP and Heroku are also available. See the documentation at
  # https://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/push/atlas.html for more information.
  # config.push.define "atlas" do |push|
  #   push.app = "YOUR_ATLAS_USERNAME/YOUR_APPLICATION_NAME"
  # end

  # Enable provisioning with a shell script. Additional provisioners such as
  # Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, and Docker are also available. Please see the
  # documentation for more information about their specific syntax and use.
  # config.vm.provision "shell", inline: <<-SHELL
  #   sudo apt-get update
  #   sudo apt-get install -y apache2
  # SHELL
  config.vm.network :private_network, ip: "192.168.70.10"

  config.vm.define :vagrant do |vagrant|
    vagrant.vm.network :private_network, ip: "192.168.70.10"

    vagrant.vm.provider :virtualbox do |vb|
      vb.customize ["modifyvm", :id, "--memory", "2048"]
    end
    vagrant.vm.provision :rubber do |rubber|
      rubber.rubber_env = 'vagrant'
      # Only necessary if you use RVM locally.
      rubber.rvm_ruby_version = 'default'
    end
  end
end

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Kyle

Justin Hart

Feb 11, 2016, 11:03:27 AM2/11/16
to rubbe...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been battling a bug regarding the way vagrant uses its own ruby/bundler instance vs your rubber/app ruby/bundler (the vagrant gem they inject has a lock on an old version of bundler).  I’ve had to backburner it though.  I wonder if it’s related.

Kyle Schutt

Feb 11, 2016, 11:46:26 AM2/11/16
to rubber
Were you able to get the provisioning running?

Kevin Menard

Feb 22, 2016, 8:23:33 PM2/22/16
to rubbe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kyle,

My apologies for just getting to this. The problem here is net-ssh. Rubber 3.x and Vagrant now use incompatible versions of net-ssh. You have to dig through Vagrant's logs somewhere to figure that out because their plugin install command suppresses errors for whatever reason.

The only real workaround at the moment is to use a slightly older version of Vagrant. It's not clear when they made the change, however, so I can't readily even tell you which version works. This should be fixed with Rubber 4.0, but that's being held up on Fog 2.0. This unfortunately a bit messier than I'd care, but the best I can do is prod people upstream.

--
Kevin

Kyle Schutt

Feb 24, 2016, 10:02:23 AM2/24/16
to rubber
Kevin,

I will give that a try. Thanks.

Kyle

Olivier Brisse

Jan 4, 2017, 2:13:28 AM1/4/17
to rubber
I'm having the same problem. Did you manage to get it running?

Kevin Menard

Jan 4, 2017, 8:45:35 AM1/4/17
to rubbe...@googlegroups.com
I'm updating Rubber for 4.0.0, which will target Ruby 2.1+. You can track current progress in master. I'll probably do a couple pre-releases as things get a little closer to being finished. Getting Vagrant working again is on the list.

--
Kevin

Dušan Orlović

Apr 27, 2017, 9:47:15 AM4/27/17
to rubber
Just to note that last working version is Vagrant 1.7.4 (you need to uninstall current version of vagrant and install that old one).
I'm coping with error

~~~
Warning: PATH set to RVM ruby but GEM_HOME and/or GEM_PATH not set, see:

Ruby jruby-1.7.4 is not installed.
~~~