Does rubber allow one to manage multiple regions of AWS. Problem with managing multiple regions of AWS.

Prabakar Puvanathasan

May 28, 2013, 6:41:32 PM5/28/13
to rubbe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am having trouble launching instances in different regions. I know that in rubber.yml, you have to specify the key_file/key_name. However, amazon key_file/key_name are unique to different regions. Hence, I setup the rubber.yml with the following:

hosts:
  webserver_west:
    region: us-west-1
    availability_zone: us-west-1a
    image_type: m1.small
    image_id: ami-832d03c6
    key_name: us_west_1_key_pair
    key_file: /................................/us_west_1_key_pair
  webserver_east:
    region: us-east-1
    availability_zone: us-east-1a
    image_type: m1.small
    image_id: ami-ed86ed84
    key_name: us_east_1_key_pair
    key_file: /............................../us_east_1_key_pair

When I tried to launch an app server in the us-west-1 with the following command:  ALIAS=webserver_west ROLES=app cap rubber:create, the region somehow defaults to "us-east-1".

This is how my cloud_providers is setup in rubber.yml. I did not specify the region in the cloud_providers.

cloud_providers:
  aws:
    access_key: "#{aws_access_key_id}"
    secret_access_key: "#{aws_secret_access_key}"
    account: "#{aws_account}"

So, I am not sure if my configuration is incorrect, or if rubber is not setup to handle multiple regions.

thanks

Kevin Menard

Jun 2, 2013, 7:40:42 PM6/2/13
to rubbe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Prabkar,

When doing host overrides, you need to retain the original key structure.  So, in your case, you'd want something like:

hosts:
  webserver_west:
    cloud_providers:
      aws:
        region: us-west-1
        availability_zone: us-west-1a

And so on.  Otherwise, you're just creating new keys under your host config that rubber then knows nothing about and thus ignores.

--
Kevin

Kyle Schutt

Feb 19, 2016, 3:10:20 PM2/19/16
to rubber
Kevin,

This doesn't seem to work anymore for host overrides re: multiple regions.

Thanks
Kyle

Kevin Menard

Feb 22, 2016, 8:24:46 PM2/22/16
to rubbe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kyle,

Which version of Rubber are you using? 3.2.0 had a bug that was fixed in 3.2.1 along these lines.

--
Kevin

Kyle Schutt

Feb 24, 2016, 10:01:27 AM2/24/16
to rubber

Kevin,

3.2.1. Here is what I had in my hosts file. I also couldn’t get it to work on a per-role basis either

hosts:
   webserver_west:
     cloud_providers:
       aws:
         region: us-west-1
         availability_zone: us-west-1a

We want to add the app_west roles to a host such that it has the roles app,app_west

roles:
   app_west:
     cloud_providers:
       aws:
         region: us-west-1
         availability_zone: us-west-1a

Thanks for the response!

Kyle

Michael Kazmier

Aug 11, 2016, 12:09:50 PM8/11/16
to rubber
Was there any resolution here?  I cannot seem to create an instance outside of our default us-east-1 region either.

Thanks