RTP silent timeout

Vanderlei Torres Batistela

May 31, 2024, 12:06:33 PMMay 31
to Sipwise rtpengine
Hi,

How does silent timeout work? I did some tests and found that this timer doesn't seem to be working.
I'm using two SIPp instances and after answering, they only send audio streams for 5s. So in in the next period (silent) until the call is released by the caller (125s after receiving 200ok), I don't see any communication between rtpengine and kamailio (you canc see from the logs attached).
I think that after 80s (silent timeout) of the beginning of the silent period (no audio at both ends) the call should be released by the rtpengine, right?
I am currently using Kamailio ( 5.8.0 ) and rtpengine Version: git-HEAD-1aec5d31
I am using this rtpengin(e config:
OPTIONS="--interface int1/192.168.24.226 -n 127.0.0.1:2223 --mos=LQ -m 10000 -M 65000 -L 7 --log-facility=local1 --delete-delay=0 --timeout=60 --silent-timeout=80 --final-timeout=7200 --offer-timeout=60 --num-threads=12 --tos=184  --no-fallback --measure-rtp --silence-detect=0.13"

Please let me know if there is anything wrong with my test or my rtpengine configuration.

syslog_rtpa.log

Richard Fuchs

May 31, 2024, 12:56:06 PMMay 31
to rtpe...@googlegroups.com
Silent-timeout is the timeout applied to "silenced" streams, meaning streams that have been put on hold. IOW, if the silent-timeout is 30 minutes, and a stream that has been put on hold hasn't sent any media in 30 minutes, then it will be considered as timed out. This is contrary to the regular timeout, which is applied to streams which have not been put on hold. This distinction is necessary because you want a short timeout for normal streams, but also want to allow for on-hold streams which are expected not to send any media.

Note that a call will be torn down only when it's fully established and all involved streams (including RTCP) are considered as timed out.

In your example the regular timeout option is the one that is relevant.

Cheers
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Vanderlei Torres Batistela

Jun 7, 2024, 7:52:59 AMJun 7
to rtpe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

"In your example the regular timeout option is the one that is relevant."

So why isn't the call released when the normal timeout (60s) expires?

In short: What I need is to release calls that have been in the conversation phase for a long time,
but there is no longer any audio being transmitted between subscribers. How do I implement this?

Thank you in advance.

Richard Fuchs

Jun 7, 2024, 8:32:28 AMJun 7
to rtpe...@googlegroups.com
On 05/06/2024 17.34, Vanderlei Torres Batistela wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "In your example the regular timeout option is the one that is relevant."
>
> So why isn't the call released when the normal timeout (60s) expires?
>
> In short: What I need is to release calls that have been in the
> conversation phase for a long time,
> but there is no longer any audio being transmitted between
> subscribers. How do I implement this?

Perhaps the RTCP generation being enabled messes with the timeout? Try
removing that flag and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers

Vanderlei Torres Batistela

Jun 11, 2024, 11:17:18 AMJun 11
to rtpe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I removed the RTCP generation flag, but it still doesn't work. See the attached log.

Regards

teste_rtp_timeout.log

Richard Fuchs

Jun 11, 2024, 11:47:58 AMJun 11
to rtpe...@googlegroups.com
On 10/06/2024 20.41, Vanderlei Torres Batistela wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I removed the RTCP generation flag, but it still doesn't work. See
> the attached log.

Not sure what to tell you other than "it works for me." Tried this with
mr11.4 (you should use 11.5 BTW) and the exact same signalling from your
log and the exact same options from your first post. The call is
terminated after 60 seconds as expected. Are you sure the config options
are actually in effect? I see you quoted the OPTIONS string from the
defaults file but have rtpengine started via systemd, which AFAIK
doesn't use the defaults file. If you have the CLI enabled you can use
`rtpengine-ctl params current` to see the options.

Cheers