ATTN Hiro-NEXTAGE Open users for ROS Indigo

Isaac I.Y. Saito

May 11, 2015, 9:56:05 AM5/11/15
to rtm-ros-...@googlegroups.com
Hiro and NEXTAGE Open users,

I just wanted to raise attention that as ROS Hydro is fast approaching
its EOL (end-of-life)[1], we're thinking to freeze the maintenance for
Hydro version of Hiro-NXO software and then move on to only ROS Indigo
within next 1 or 2 months. This requires the OS upgraded to 14.04.

I post possible FAQ below to answer in advance to your concerns.
Please let us know if you feel anxious.

Q. Does this mean we won't be able to use 12.04 - ROS Hydro
combination once it reaches EOL?
A. No it doesn't. You can keep using it as much as you want both by
DEB binary and by source.

Q. Then what does EOL mean?
A. No new DEB binary (the one you install via apt-get) will be built.
Also, even if you use source, likely not all new changes will be
available in Hydro.

Q. So within an year after I manage to switch to ROS Indigo, will I
have to upgrade ROS again?
A. Not necessarily. ROS Indigo "is the first LTS release of ROS; it
will be supported until April 2019 in parallel with Ubuntu Trusty
Tahr."[2]. And hopefully the same goes with Hiro-NXO (I'm not sure at
all yet...2019 sounds miles away).

[1] http://lists.ros.org/pipermail/ros-release/2015-May/004631.html
[2] http://www.ros.org/news/2014/07/ros-indigo-igloo-released.html

Thanks,
Isaac, TORK

--
!Happy opensource robotics!

Isaac I.Y. Saito (齋藤功)
Co-founder, Software Engineer (代表理事)
TORK (Tokyo Opensource Robotics Kyokai Association, 東京オープンソースロボティクス協会)
http://opensource-robotics.tokyo.jp

Damien Sallé

May 22, 2015, 4:18:40 AM5/22/15
to rtm-ros-...@googlegroups.com
In Tecnalia, we have an important fair in beginning of July (Innorobo 2015) where we'll showcase our latest application development with Airbus.
I had in mind to use the workspace monitoring and trajectory stopping before collision (works on our kuka-Lwr robots) but it seems safer to not count on this improvement for this demo with Nextage-Open.

So, for Indigo, we won't be able to test much things before July. and will need Hydro until september at least.
Anyway, this only affects the "visionPC", nothing in RTC/openRTM requiring Qnx controlelr updates, right?

Thanks
Damien - Tecnalia

Isaac I.Y. Saito

May 27, 2015, 9:25:40 AM5/27/15
to rtm-ros-...@googlegroups.com
Damien, thanks for the feedback.

> So, for Indigo, we won't be able to test much things before July. and will need Hydro until september at least.

DEB binary will likely be not updated after some point this year as I predicted. Nobody but OSRF has a control over it.

We could keep updating hydro branch source code until when no one wants to keep using Hydro. Opinions are appreciated.

> Anyway, this only affects the "visionPC", nothing in RTC/openRTM requiring Qnx controlelr updates, right?

Yes for upgrading your Ubuntu to 14.04 and switching to ROS Indigo.
# Of course updating controller software on QNX is required in order to apply the new controller feature discussed in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rtm-ros-robotics/EHsSDTvZxo4.

Isaac

--
!Happy opensource robotics!

Isaac I.Y. Saito (齋藤功)
Co-founder, Software Engineer (代表理事)
TORK (Tokyo Opensource Robotics Kyokai Association, 東京オープンソースロボティクス協会)
http://opensource-robotics.tokyo.jp
+81-50-3748-1069  (電話番号が変わりました)

Isaac I.Y. Saito

Oct 6, 2015, 1:49:49 PM10/6/15
to rtm-ros-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kawada's opensource version of Hiro / NEXTAGE (hironxo) users,

Now we offer official support for ROS-Indigo on Ubuntu 14.04.

For the detail and questions, please refer to a look at the
announcement and ask any concerns there.
https://github.com/start-jsk/rtmros_hironx/issues/396#issue-110061759

Best,
Isaac

--
!Happy opensource robotics!

Isaac I.Y. Saito (齋藤功)
Co-founder, Software Engineer (代表理事)
TORK (Tokyo Opensource Robotics Kyokai Association, (社) 東京オープンソースロボティクス協会)
http://opensource-robotics.tokyo.jp / 113-0034 東京都文京区湯島3-20-12 ツナシマ第2ビル4F
+81-50-3748-1069