No decoders in rtl_433-win-msvc-x64-nightly

Brian Dunstan

May 20, 2024, 10:42:21 AMMay 20
to rtl_433
I am using a USB RTL SDR Blog dongle in a Windows 11 environment.
I haven't had success building from the source so I'm trying to use the release binaries.
I've tried both the 23.11 release and the nightly releases, and the msvc versions appear to work, but I don't get any decoded signals.
If I run rtl_433-rtlsdr.exe -A I get plenty of signals detected and analyzed, but if I omit the -A I get nothing.
I also have SDRSharp installed with the RTL_433 plugin, and it manages to decode many of the signals, so it looks to me like there is a problem with my rtl_433-rtlsdr.exe setup.
The thing that I notice is that when I start rtl_433-rtlsdr.exe I don't get the message "Registered nnn out of nnn device decoding protocols..." so I'm guessing there is no attempt to load any protocols.
I don't understand much of the inner working of rtl_433, so I'm hoping someone can point out my error.

Thanks in anticipation,
Brian

Christian Z.

May 20, 2024, 11:03:16 AMMay 20
to rtl_433
You'd need to start with  -vv  to get the list of decoders.
Try using this for best reception:

rtl_433 -Y autolevel -Y magest -M level -M noise

Brian Dunstan

May 21, 2024, 1:47:10 AMMay 21
to rtl_433
Thank you very much @Christian Z., that was very helpful. It is now working as expected!