Multiple Results

MikeTheBee

Mar 10, 2022, 6:51:08 AM3/10/22
to rtl_433
Sorry if I have missed the function if it is already there.

My LaCrosse sends temp, humidity and rain as three sequential packets. I use -E quit to exit on the first packet received, but is there a way of saying something like -E 3 to indicate don't quit until after first three packets decoded?

Thanks, Mike

Christian Z.

Mar 10, 2022, 6:56:15 AM3/10/22
to rtl_433
That's not a use-case we have considered so far.
It might be interesting to revisit the requirement, why do you want rtl_433 to quit?

MikeTheBee

Mar 10, 2022, 7:04:43 AM3/10/22
to rtl_433
I have the RTLSDR usb stick on a RaspberryPi that does RTL_433 and other home-automation sensing tasks, including Weather Satellite tracking, so I disconnect RTL_433 between sensing cycles. It works well but I was looking to see if I can slim down my parsing scripts.
Thanks, Mike

Christian Z.

Mar 10, 2022, 7:28:13 AM3/10/22
to rtl_433
So multiplexing access to the RTL-SDR. Yes, that needs to quit rtl_433 (unless it's the same band, then maybe try the rtl_tcp pass-through).
Options might be to run rtl_433 for a fixed time (guessing the LaCrosse sends fairly regular and quickly) or to use a second RTL-SDR -- you might want that for the option to use different antennas (no 433/137 dual bands IIRC) anyway.

But I guess your parsing script to start and stop rtl_433 with event counting and timeouts is really the best way to have that degree of control.

MikeTheBee

Mar 10, 2022, 7:41:14 AM3/10/22
to rtl_433
Yes, I tried running for a fixed time, but parsing got messy, so I now -E quit after the first packet, parse it and return until I collect a sensible set of temp & humidity to pass on to grafana. There are several LaCrosse stations around me so I have to check the ID is mine as others are getting spurious readings (maybe in the sun).

MikeTheBee

Mar 10, 2022, 7:51:02 AM3/10/22
to rtl_433
Oh, and they are triggered from cron once an hour, so not running the receiver all the time saves heating the stick and wasting energy ( a little bit, maybe)